2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Need turbo info

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 07:02 PM
NeonRT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need turbo info

Hello fellow Neon drivers and enthusiasts. I have a 2001 Neon R/T and i was wondering if the Chillfactory turbo kit or the Hahn turbo kit would blow up my engine? It has 78,000 miles. Also, i was wondering which one is better and which is cheaper?

Old 05-23-2005, 03:03 AM
Anonymous User
Default RE: Need turbo info

to know how your engine will handle the boost at 78K miles..u need to think about how often did u change the oil, when was the last tune-up, do a compression test, how was the engine maintained...and if it was me personally since i want to turbo in the future i would get the chill factory with a 20g turbo...

Old 05-23-2005, 06:08 AM
nippondrifterae111
Professional

i dont know, even if the engine was taken care of, it's a r/t and r/t's have higher compression than regualr neons like the sxt. Turbo's need lower compression. For instance an sxt has a compression ratio of 9.8 to 1 which is pretty close to perfect for a turbo charged vehicle without blowing up any internal compartments of the engine. An R/t has a higher compression which would blow up the engine. your better off turbo chrarging a sxt so you won't have to change the pistons. besides an r/t is a magnum, so some n/a tuning should give it some boost in hp, like a Japanese Type R engine that has a stupid amount of rpm's and compression.

So turbocharging your r/t is not a good idea and with the mileage, it really doesn't make a difference.

Old 05-23-2005, 02:04 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

Heres an idea, CHANGE THE COMPRESSION RATIO TO 8:5:1!!!! If not change the psi to 6 on the turbo and drive er easy for a while. But about $500 dollars is all it takes to change compression to where it is safe to run range, and thanx to SLOWASS's output on connecting rods not holding up at a certain torque range get those changed when you get real power.

Old 05-23-2005, 09:57 PM
NeonRT

Thanks for the info guys. Nippondrifterae111, you say i can get some n/a hp out of the magnum. Please tell me what kind of modifications i can do to achieve this. Currently all i have is a cat back exhaust. Also, whoever posted the thing about lowering compression, how do you lower it? Thanks again!

Old 05-24-2005, 01:49 AM
SlowAssNeon
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ugh. turbos dont NEED lower compression. theyre just easier to tune with lower compression.

besides, 9.8:1 isnt really high compression anyways. how many 1g neons on the same compression have you heard of running turbo? lots.

it just becomes a problem when the rods cant take the torque mainly. which is generally around the 250tq area.

to lower compression, you either need to change the pistons to some low compression ones, or add a spacer between the head and block (also called a shim)
personally, id go with the pistons before doing the shim thing.

6psi on stock internals? 7-8 psi should be fine on stock internals so long as its intercooled. heck, ive known some people with 1g neons running 15psi (t3 turbos on most of em) without any problems (well, one had a problem when his standalones wiring came undone.. but that was purely not the fault of the turbo setup)

Old 05-24-2005, 07:06 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

I know you can slow im just weary on tearin my **** up......I tune in safe mode all the time I guess that why ive never broke out of the 14s lol. 6 PSI to me is safe cuz your not affecting the atmospheric bar, however, I never took into account the reasonable amount of torque that can be applied to the connecting rods, compression ratio, ignition, etc. I just have a long list of polynomials and equations to play w/ and the average is around 6-8 psi on most n/a cars. Ive seen some n/a cars however handle 10 psi w/ no problems which is cool but id never try it.

Quick Reply: Need turbo info