2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Transmission Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 03:42 PM
dgforeman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Fluid

I need to know what kind of transmission fluid to use in an automatic 3 speed Neon 2000. Are the store brands as good as the national brand names? ( e.g. Coastal as opposed to Valvoline or STP etc. Does anyone know how much I would need? I am changing transmissions( putting in used one, taking out original)

Old 08-23-2010, 04:09 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

AFAIK, it should be ATF+4. Been awhile since I've owned a 2000-2002 Neon. NAPA ATF+4 is relabled Valvoline for about $1 cheaper per quart. I just bought SuperTech ATF+4 for my need-to-get-it-done-sooner-than-later fluid change. I think the SuperTech is the cheapest out of all. You just need to check whatever fluid and make sure it meets the requirement (should say it on the back of the bottle). Also, the Dodge transmission filter was actually cheaper than any I could get in the parts stores. May check into that where you are at.

As far as how much, the service manual says an estimated 4 quarts. Buy 4, pour in 3, drive it and stop and check the dipstick following the proper procedure, then add if necessary.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:27 PM
AnthemBassMan
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

-Is the fluid type listed on your tranny dipstick? My '05 SXT has "Use ATF+4" above the measuring holes.

L8R,
Matt

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid