2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Let's talk "engine mounts"

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 11:00 PM
turbo talon dl 94
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine mount/timing belt jobs...

Too late...I already jacked it by the pan but so far it appears to be holding with NO leaks from the pan. (knocks on wooden desk) My engine mount does INDEED have oil in it and I ruptured it trying to get the clearance to remove all the bolts. I moved my ATV jack (with a block of wood) more rearward and was able to get enough clearance to get everything removed. I wish I had known about using that metal plate vs. the oil pan but the Haynes said it was OK. My torque mounts are shot so I am 'repairing' them as we read/speak. I marked the position of the mount relative to the frame rail of car before I removed it. Just need to transfer them to NEW mount when it gets here. I have the measurements to orient the engine after timing belt job.

Once you get as far as you have, if you got the main bolt out of the engine mount (that goes through the frame rail; it's covered by a plug unless that is missing), as long as there is clearance the mount should come right out. Does the mount move around at all, and you just don't have the clearance?

Thats 100% correct. There wasnt enough room because of the tensioner pulley plate thing.

No never had any fliud in any of my mounts and husband has changed 3 of them and took the tranny mount off and it did not have any fluid either. Husband said one of them had moisture in it but he doesnt think it was fluid.

That 'moisture' was probably the oil that used to be inside of it. I wonder how these mounts hold up without it. I cant JB Weld this one because of all the oil; which happens to be the treatment the torque mount inserts are receiving.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:10 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's interesting to hear that it is filled, because I contacted one of the largest aftermarket manufacturers of mounts and they said theirs is not filled. Mine car has been fine since replacement.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:31 AM
turbo talon dl 94
Amateur
Default Main engine mount

Originally Posted by darthroush
It's interesting to hear that it is filled, because I contacted one of the largest aftermarket manufacturers of mounts and they said theirs is not filled. Mine car has been fine since replacement.
Yeah man...I seriously hope the new one I just ordered today is just straight rubber with no oil damping B.S. in it!! I mean seriously; who designs these cars? Obviously no technician was on the design team. They're not built to work on AT ALL. You gotta be a contortionist to get to everything, and have lots of time to waste to figure out how to do what the manual is calling!! (beer talking too). I'm selling this car AS SOON as I graduate this summer...

I contacted one of the largest aftermarket manufacturers of mounts and they said theirs is not filled.

Two key words there my friend...

Last edited by turbo talon dl 94; 01-04-2011 at 02:34 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:30 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I figured since it was an OE replacement, it would have been the same. That same company makes hydraulic mounts according to OE mounts. Joys of a DSM engine in a Dodge, eh?

Old 01-04-2011, 09:10 AM
showsxt
Record Breaker

The barely used 2005 middle mount I got from the junk yard was not filled with anything and the other two I got from autozone werent either . Husband said the mositure could of been water from the rain. Mines been so much fun with all 3 being replaced.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:30 PM
turbo talon dl 94
Amateur
Default Engine mount

Originally Posted by hemi4spd
with those torque struyts removed you can rock the enfine quite a bit, you wont hurt the others (a ratchet strap comes in handy to pull the engine how you want it.

theres a measurrement you have to be aware of

and for gawd sakes dont jack on the oil pan alone (its cast aluminum and you will put a hole in it), wood is a good idea
if you jack on the bracket it will rock the same as the pan(nothing to gain imho)
Yeah..its already there on the pan. A few other sources have said to use the oil pan as a 'jacking' point as well with a block of wood. I just got the new mount from Autozone today so I may be able to install it depending on if I get the water pump removed/replaced.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:33 PM
turbo talon dl 94
Amateur

Originally Posted by darthroush
I figured since it was an OE replacement, it would have been the same. That same company makes hydraulic mounts according to OE mounts. Joys of a DSM engine in a Dodge, eh?
Mitsubishi built the 4g63T which is in the turbo DSMs. The 4g63 and the 4g37 (1.8L 92 hp) in the runt of the pack. Mitsubishi designes GREAT engines whereas this Dodge engine was designed by well....Dodge. Enough said.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:37 PM
turbo talon dl 94
Amateur

Originally Posted by showsxt
The barely used 2005 middle mount I got from the junk yard was not filled with anything and the other two I got from autozone werent either . Husband said the mositure could of been water from the rain. Mines been so much fun with all 3 being replaced.
That mount is burried pretty well inside the frame of the car. Mine was completely dry other than the oil leaking from it. I wash my car on a regular basis and spray in the wheel wells and undernieth it. Its still pretty hard without the oil but nowhere near full integrity.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:48 PM
hemi4spd
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mitsu make great engines??? what about the 2.6L with its timing chain guides(meant to wear out)

The 2.2L and 2.5L were great dodge engines (almost bulletproof)

Old 01-04-2011, 09:04 PM
turbo talon dl 94
Amateur

Originally Posted by hemi4spd
mitsu make great engines??? what about the 2.6L with its timing chain guides(meant to wear out)

The 2.2L and 2.5L were great dodge engines (almost bulletproof)
Maybe I opened my mouth TOO wide. The two engines of Mitsu that I am familar with are the 4g63T, G4CS, 6g72T. But this IS a Neon forum afterall. I also dont really know much about the Dodge engines other than hearing about some of their mini-van engines.

Quick Reply: Let's talk "engine mounts"