2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

transaxle problem!!! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 09:10 PM
ebridges9363
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry transaxle problem!!! HELP!

okay, so my 2000 dodge neon transaxle started acting up a while ago. whenever you are slowing down the car will violently shudder and almost stall. it is not a problem with the motor because if you put the car into manual low before slowing down it will not do this. we just replaced the torque convertor today, since the problem was sounding much like a torque convertor problem, but of course... no cure! the car is still doing this. when the car is in drive and is around the 50-60 km/h range you will feel a slight shudder as the car passes this speed, then as ive said when you are braking if you dont put the car into manual low the car will shudder badly. does anyone know the cause of this ? Im desperate please help

Old 12-06-2010, 09:17 PM
ZOMBIERAM

hay man might sound weird but it would not hurt to check the wheel bearings /hubs. does the steering wheel shake too ?

Old 12-06-2010, 09:42 PM
ebridges9363

wheel bearings have been checked and they are fine. no the steering wheel doesnt shake. and if you take the vehicle out of drive and try one of the manual low gears the car wont shake or shudder, which narrows it down specifically to transaxle, although im not sure what component

Old 12-06-2010, 11:25 PM
hemi4spd
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

had a car do this although it was electronic lock up convertor not hydraulic like your neons
what may be happening is the torque convertor is still locked up while your applying the brakes. feels like riding the brake without pushing the clutch in?

I think you were on the right page with torque convertor but your convertor was doing what its supposed to so it didnt need replacment, I'm thinking a sticky or leaking valve inside the trans (regulator valve, Convertor Pressure control valve, or switch valve) or maybe a valve on the throttle side of trans

oh and the convertor will not lock up in low range this is why I think its limited to "D Range 3rd gear lock up on"

Im thinking the problem lies within the pink or yellow areas of this pressure circuit

http://i56.tinypic.com/3326q94.jpg

Last edited by hemi4spd; 12-06-2010 at 11:34 PM.

Quick Reply: transaxle problem!!! HELP!