DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Neon (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-neon-78/)
-   -   2005 neon idling high, really high (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-neon/273629-2005-neon-idling-high-really-high.html)

hemi4spd 12-30-2010 10:21 PM

wires are probably as old as the plugs
and work on getting a replacment tube you wouldnt want your repair failing on the road and the engine taking off to 4k in gear, that crappy tube can be quite dangerous. almost like a runaway Toyota

motojoeis01 12-31-2010 10:37 AM

haha yea i bet. well it only revved that high in neutral. once a load was on you didnt really notice once moving but was just tryin to walk away pretty good sittin still but you could still stop it if you mash it. but yea i know what you mean. i yanked on it pretty hard and made sure it was good and i really think i made a strong enough repair. but what im worried about is it tearing in a different spot. i think what its from is the dealer over tightening the clamp. with how movable the accordian part on it it cant be from movement. and right at the edge of the clamp. i think they tighten the clamp too ight and its actually like pinching it. im gong to the dealer and see what they charge for one and availability and let ya'll know. lol

motojoeis01 12-31-2010 10:41 AM

wow looked up at autozone.com and its 72.99 for it. its called fresh air intake duct.

darthroush 12-31-2010 06:11 PM

That accordion piece will suck in and out pretty good under certain conditions. If you replace it with a straight, solid piece it won't be able to tear from that.

hemi4spd 12-31-2010 08:48 PM

my earlier post said what the dealers up here in canada want for them and its OUTRAGEOUS!!! 180$$$ (are you outta your freakin mind??)

i would agree with you about the clamp but that takes no account for all the other ones ive seen split in the middle of the tube, nowhere near the clamp.

honestly its POS part the factory probably buys from asia
I like darths idea of a rigid tube but what do you do about the little 3/4" bung thats on the accordion tube? theres a PCV line that you will need to hook to the rigid pipe.

darthroush 01-01-2011 06:48 AM

I don't recall having anything attached to mine? Mine is just the tube IIRC. The PCV line goes nearby.

motojoeis01 01-02-2011 11:07 AM

well there is a reason its accordian style. the motor moves everytime you hit the gas and go from forward to reverse so if you put a solid one in it would either rip that easier or just rip it off all together.

hemi4spd 01-02-2011 03:05 PM

watching my neighbors under load and shifting theres really no movement at all,
if you want a soid tube and your concerned about movement all you would have to do would be fab up a bracket that comes off the engine to hold the TB instead of the TB being held to the body
then the TB will move with the engine.

i do agree tho it would be easier just to replace the bad part than re-inventing the intake

correction about the bung its just at the end of the accordion tube a closer look and I see that the bung is actually part of the Intake manifold (my mistake)

darthroush 01-02-2011 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by motojoeis01 (Post 2367576)
well there is a reason its accordian style. the motor moves everytime you hit the gas and go from forward to reverse so if you put a solid one in it would either rip that easier or just rip it off all together.

There are many people that have done it. I doubt people would do it if they had to reconnect the intake every time they drove the car. If the solid tube is long enough (as in a fully expanded tube), there's no reason it should pull away. It is still clamped down like the factory piece.

motojoeis01 01-03-2011 10:36 AM

well as long as its more liek a radiator hose and moves a little then it may be fine. i noticed hers if you go forward to reverse it moves enough. and i just put all new motor mounts on it too. but yea its deffinatly easier to just put a new one on. i just ordered one last night and cost me $67 with my commercial discount. normally like 72. and will be in tomorrow afternoon and its foactory correct and this one is aftermarket so maybe made of harder rubber and doesnt tear as easy.