2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2005 neon idling high, really high

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 12:59 AM
motojoeis01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 neon idling high, really high

so helping a friend out, her car just starts screamin like 4k rpm once you start it. no codes, i read the sensors and the tps is at 12% so i replaced the sensor and the new one says the same thing. i checked for leaks or cracks even though if the computer is saying that i think its a computer problem. the iac is opening and closing when cycleing the key. pulled the vacuum line off the throttle body and plugged with my finger and still same thing. looking for any info that can help. checked and wiggled wire harness but still wrapped real nice from factory. cant find anything. i was almost thinking coolant temp sensor thinking motor is hot when cold and sending wrong. but when i read it with scanner cold the temp is same as outside and same as iat reads. please help asap. email me would be best at motojoeis01@yahoo.com

Old 12-26-2010, 03:42 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like a vacuum leak that has been missed to me. Any kind of hissing/sucking noise in the engine bay?

Old 12-26-2010, 03:39 PM
hemi4spd
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the breather tube for splits (seen em split in the folds on the underside)
block off the tb while running and see if it still runs
get a donor IAC and rig it shut then see how it runs
at 4k it would be hard to hear anything

Old 12-27-2010, 11:15 AM
motojoeis01

ive looked everywhere and moved around every line listening before. there is only one large vacuum line going to throttle body and i pulled it off and plugged it with my finger when i had a buddy start it and same thing so that crossed off any leaks. like i said the computer is reading that the tps is at 12%. at idle it should be 0%. so it has to be a compouter problem or another sensor telling it different. right? and yes its shut all the way. i even pulled the sensor off and there is tension on it and when it staps back it only drops to 5% so its like the preset is reading wrong.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:47 PM
hemi4spd
All Star

the sensor your referering to with tension on it is the IAC?

sounds like the TPS is out of calibration Maybe try a new TPS

Old 12-28-2010, 05:26 PM
Moparkyle
All Star

Check signal and reference voltage going to and from the TPS. With the TPS closed you should be getting like .5V signal and around 3.5-4.5V WOT. You test this with the key on engine off. It should be getting around 5V reference.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:14 PM
motojoeis01

no the one with tention is the tps, meant when you put it in you turn it a little to put the screws in and it preloads it. but i looked at another car and it said 10% so maybe 12% may be normal. i thought it was something computerized but gues not. put my hand over tb and it still started. found out there was a tear on the bottom of the intake tube that connects the intake and the tb. its not dryrotted or anything. right next to the clamp is tore.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:36 PM
hemi4spd
All Star

HAHAHA seen it a hunderd times now!!!!
now good luck getting a replacement dealer want 185CDN for one and junkyard took me a while to find one that wasnt torn or about to tear

Thats why I said block off TB and see if it still sucks air as the tears are usually on the bottom where u cant see

Old 12-30-2010, 02:32 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Get a couple of...2.5" is it, couplers, and a straight piece of tubing to go in-between. No more tears and better airflow through that section.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:47 AM
motojoeis01

well i just cleaned it real good and used silicone to fix it and working great so far. i noticed its like shaking when you accelerate though. i puled a plug and it had like 60k and was pretty melted so i put a new set of plugs in it and gaped them at 35k like it calls for. seems a little better but still shakes and it like vibrates the whole dash everytime you take off. all the vacuum elbows were like dry rotted looking but not dry rotted yet so i took them off and put a coating of black slilicone over them so now they should last alot longer. but not surld make it shake like that and not be the plugs.

Quick Reply: 2005 neon idling high, really high