2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

auto->manual and engine questions 05 Neon SXT

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 11:52 AM
Ice Blitz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default auto->manual and engine questions 05 Neon SXT

Okay, so I guess I should start out by admitting that I don't know a thing about cars.

I got a 2005 Dodge Neon SXT automatic about a year or two back, and really love the little car.

However, I've recently found myself wanting something with a little more power then my car's 4-cylinder, as well as an interest in driving a manual.

I'm curious what I can reasonably do to my car to attempt to achieve either of these? I read somewhere online that some engines can be upgraded to a 6-cylinder and was wondering if the Neon's could? Or if there was something I could add on to my car to give it a little more of a kick when accelerating (right now it sounds like a wheezing asthmatic compared to my friend's grandparent's mustang)?

Was also curious what is involved in switching an auto to a manual, parts and price wise? I can handle basic car stuff...would an installation like this be something I could learn and do myself? Or would I have to take it in to a mechanic?

And price. I don't have a lot of money to spend on stuff (starving college student). $2000 is really gonna have to be my limit (since it would probably take me around a year to get that much money anyway). Are changes like this something I could reasonably afford?

That's all the questions I can think of at the moment. Any help or answers y'all can provide is greatly appreciated.

-Icey

Old 01-02-2011, 02:00 PM
showsxt
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can try to find donor srt for around 2 grand maybe . Found mine for a grand . You can do a srt turbo swap and that will get you a bit more hp . You can do the tranny swap with the srt donor . Me Im keeping mine an auto. You can do the turbo swap yourself with the help of someone that knows cars.

Quick Reply: auto->manual and engine questions 05 Neon SXT