2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon
Old 08-05-2015, 08:55 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Quick opinion needed...Multifunction Switch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 10:56 PM
03SXTGUY
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick opinion needed...Multifunction Switch?

Hey guys, after RTFA and doing my research, I'm pretty sure the problem is my multifunction switch. Dealer wants $97.50 for a new one, however I can get one from Autozone, Duralast brand, for $65 and it's available in store.

Here's the scenario:

With headlamps ON, Foglight Switch OFF, Fog Lights stay on.
With headlamps ON, Foglight Switch ON, Fog Lights stay on.
With headlamps ON, Foglight Switch OFF, Left Turn Signal ON, Fog lights shut off.
With headlamps ON, Foglight Switch OFF, Right Turn Signal ON, Fog lights stay on.
With headlamps ON, High Beams ON, Fog Lights shut off.

I do not hear any buzzing, smell any burning, or see any smoke from the MFS but I am 99% sure I'm in need of a new one considering the above and the known fact these parts tend to go bad (wiring mostly) in Neons.

Opinions greatly appreciated! Thanks all.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:54 AM
turbo talon dl 94
Amateur
Default Combo switch

I just replaced mine because the fog lights would short to ON in the OFF position with the lights on. This would cause smoke in the car because of excess current and the connector trying to melt. Took it to dealer's lot where I bought car still under warranty and they wouldnt do anything about it.

Change it out and be done with it. I just got one from Autozone with a warranty. It uses those torx star bits.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:08 AM
03SXTGUY
Amateur

Thanks for the input! I think tomorrow I'll be running to Autozone as they are the cheapest...30 bucks is 30 bucks compared to OEM pricing

Old 01-10-2011, 02:44 PM
03SXTGUY
Amateur

Ok now I have a real problem...went to Autozone and bought a new multifunction switch - installed it, which included transferring over the other relay and wiper switch. As soon as I reconnected the negative battery terminal and tried the lights, my headlights & fog lights are working perfectly as they should now (fogs aren't coming on with the fog switch off) however, now I have no hazards or turn signals! The fuse (10amp in slot 1) was not blown but I put a new one in there anyhow, and when I turn on the headlights, the running lights are both lit so I know they aren't burnt out.

Any ideas?? Does it sound like a bad relay?

Old 01-10-2011, 02:52 PM
turbo talon dl 94
Amateur
Default Combo switch

Originally Posted by 03SXTGUY
Ok now I have a real problem...went to Autozone and bought a new multifunction switch - installed it, which included transferring over the other relay and wiper switch. As soon as I reconnected the negative battery terminal and tried the lights, my headlights & fog lights are working perfectly as they should now (fogs aren't coming on with the fog switch off) however, now I have no hazards or turn signals! The fuse (10amp in slot 1) was not blown but I put a new one in there anyhow, and when I turn on the headlights, the running lights are both lit so I know they aren't burnt out.

Any ideas?? Does it sound like a bad relay?
If the turn signal relay worked before you changed the combo switch then it should work now provided you properly swapped it over; meaning double check your work.

If you looked in the manual (i'm guilty, I didnt until after I did the repair) then you'd see that the wiper and lights/signal switches are separate. The turn signal and hazard flashers are controlled by that one relay that plugs right into the light combo switch. Did you plug it in properly? I didnt really pay attention to see if you COULD plug it in wrong.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:09 PM
03SXTGUY
Amateur

Found the problem but not sure of the solution. The 15amp fuse in the engine compartment blew. Replaced it with a new 15amp fuse - reconnected neg. battery and tried the left turn signal. Nothing. So I rechecked the new fuse - blown. What's going on here? The signals were working fine before replacing the MFS

Old 01-10-2011, 03:12 PM
03SXTGUY
Amateur

turbo, yes the relay/flasher only plugs in one way. When I put transferred over the relay and wiper switch to the new MFS with the headlamp stalk on it, I just unplugged the relay from the old and into the new the exact same way. To transfer over the wiper stalk, I had to unscrew two 10mm torx and it came right off of the old. However, now that I'm thinking about it...this entire time I haven't put the two torx back in that secure the MFS...that may be my problem. If those are acting as a ground for the fuse...it could be the culprit as to why it's blowing. BRB haha

Old 01-10-2011, 03:28 PM
03SXTGUY
Amateur

my great idea...shattered. lol It wasn't the fix and now I've blown through 3 15amp fuses I stole out of the truck. I have to go buy some more haha The only other option I'm thinking as of right now is to put the old MFS in, a new 15amp fuse back in, exactly how it was before, and see if the fuse blows. If it doesn't - I know that it's the Duralast MFS I bought from Autozone. Thankfully it has a lifetime warranty

Old 01-10-2011, 03:33 PM
turbo talon dl 94
Amateur

Originally Posted by 03SXTGUY
turbo, yes the relay/flasher only plugs in one way. When I put transferred over the relay and wiper switch to the new MFS with the headlamp stalk on it, I just unplugged the relay from the old and into the new the exact same way. To transfer over the wiper stalk, I had to unscrew two 10mm torx and it came right off of the old. However, now that I'm thinking about it...this entire time I haven't put the two torx back in that secure the MFS...that may be my problem. If those are acting as a ground for the fuse...it could be the culprit as to why it's blowing. BRB haha
Interesting that you're even messing with the wiper motor switches. I just left that thing alone. I never removed it. Everything worked for me as soon as I plugged the new switch in. I didnt unplug the battery or anything. Fuses blow when there is a SHORT. Fuses are intended to protect the wiring and not the components. As far as my combo switch repair it was just remove old P.O.S., inspect damage (partially melted connector) and install new. Definitely put EVERYTHING back together before giving it a test run.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:47 PM
03SXTGUY
Amateur

I'm not crazy after-all!! lol I put the old switch and a new fuse in - BAM. Turn signals & hazards. It's the Autozone Duralast one that's messed up - and now I had to spend an extra $10 on new 15a fuses b/c of it. I'm going to Advance Auto this time.

Quick Reply: Quick opinion needed...Multifunction Switch?