2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

About to be a neon owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 04:03 PM
CyrilKeir
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to be a neon owner

Hey hey.

I am about to purchase a 2000 Neon, and I was lurking here to get some ideas of what I'm in for.

It needs a paint job (badly), but has no rust. Test drove it, and it vibrated a little more than normal, but I'm assuming that is because the tires need replacing and balancing.

Ice cold A/C (which is a god send here in Florida, and will be my first car ever to actually have A/C.), 127k miles, and a recently replaced timing belt.

The only thing wrong with it, is one of the engine mounts is cracked/broken. Which adds to the vibration aspect, but I'd get that fixed in a few weeks if I purchased it.

All in all, the interior seems to be quite nice, and it is an especially good buy for the price.

I'm getting this car as a replacement to my '97 Monte Carlo Z34, because I drive for a living and 20mpg is killing me.

Anything I should look out for?

-Cyril

Old 02-10-2011, 10:59 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CyrilKeir
Hey hey.

I am about to purchase a 2000 Neon, and I was lurking here to get some ideas of what I'm in for.

It needs a paint job (badly), but has no rust. Test drove it, and it vibrated a little more than normal, but I'm assuming that is because the tires need replacing and balancing.

Ice cold A/C (which is a god send here in Florida, and will be my first car ever to actually have A/C.), 127k miles, and a recently replaced timing belt.

The only thing wrong with it, is one of the engine mounts is cracked/broken. Which adds to the vibration aspect, but I'd get that fixed in a few weeks if I purchased it. If any of them are broken, you'll get vibrations rather badly. If the torque strut mounts have been broken/worn for any lengthy period of time, it could damage the motor mount and cause that to go out too. The only way to really tell the condition of the motor mount is to remove it, at which point, you may as well replace it.

All in all, the interior seems to be quite nice, and it is an especially good buy for the price.

I'm getting this car as a replacement to my '97 Monte Carlo Z34, because I drive for a living and 20mpg is killing me.

Anything I should look out for?

-Cyril
How's the engine oil look/smell? Transmission fluid (if it's an auto)?

Old 02-11-2011, 01:01 AM
CyrilKeir

Not 100% sure. It is an auto (sadly, as it's a 3-speed), but that's better for the type of driving I'll be doing anyway.

I'm heading back tomorrow morning at 10am to check it out with my dad. The engine sounded and felt fine, and I love how easy it will be for me to service the engine myself. My current car has a 3.4 liter engine that's crammed into a small space, that is near impossible to service myself.

But I'll take a look at the engine and tranny oil tomorrow morning. The oil would be fixed with an oil change, would it not? As far as the transmission fluid, I guess at worse it would just need a flush. But I'll check it. Thanks for the tip.

Edit: And I know which engine mount needs to be replaced. Lucky for me, it's the one on top, so it will be easy to get to.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:21 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The 3-speeds aren't bad, just make sure to keep it adjusted. The oil itself would be "fixed," but if it smells burnt, then it could be a sign of poor engine maintenance. Same for the transmission. It's just a little thing to look at, but can give you an idea about it.

Don't flush the transmission, unless it is done the proper way (no machine).

Old 02-11-2011, 01:10 PM
TaterTodd
Professional

When buying something used I ALWAYS CHANGE ALL THE FLUIDS RIGHT OFF. The previous owner may say that he has already done them but you won't be positive until you do it yourself. Also this way you'll know exactly when they were done and how they looked when you change them. Plus it'll give you peace of mind in the long run.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:17 PM
CyrilKeir

Just did the purchase! 1200$ for the car- Can't find them on sale anywhere for less than 3,400$. :-D

I'll be changing the oil tomorrow. Tranny fluid is in great shape. Looking forward to being a proud Neon owner. :-)

-Cyril

Quick Reply: About to be a neon owner