2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

new here with a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 01:46 PM
buddhaman
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new here with a few questions

i just got a neon last week and i have a couple questions about them. first off, the car is a 2000 base model 3 speed auto 2.0. i have only had one dodge car and it was a 1993 spirit and there's a big difference between that and the neon. first question: is there an inexpensive and fairly easy way to bring up the bottom end torque? second question: is there any special way to do the spark plugs or any other routine maintenance items? finally: is it me or does the first half of a tank of gas go by fast then the last half go on forever? thanks, vince.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:30 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

1st Answer: On a 4-cylinder engine? Not really...
2nd Answer: Nope, just use copper plugs or buy the expensive iridiums. Platinum plugs tend not to work well in most Neons due to the type of ignition system.
3rd Answer: Some cars do that, some do the opposite and some just don't do that.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:22 PM
CyrilKeir

I have a 2000 Dodge Neon, 2.0 Automatic 3 speed too. I bought it yesterday. I have the same annoying issue with the first half of the tank disappearing fast, then the bottom half taking forever. Makes it hard for me to figure out how far I can go on a tank. X-D

Also, a tip for you. I tried topping off the tank- Don't round it up more than 10 cents after topping it off. I managed to spill 30 cents of gas on the ground while watching the meter to round it up to the nearest dollar. I was used to my old car, where I could round it up a dollar or more. lol. So don't try to top off the 2000 neon.

Welcome to the Neon club!

Old 02-13-2011, 12:13 AM
buddhaman
Veteran

thanks darth, i'm just used to my truck being able to get up and go when i want it to.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:36 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CyrilKeir
Makes it hard for me to figure out how far I can go on a tank. X-D
That's what the tripometer is for

Originally Posted by buddhaman
thanks darth, i'm just used to my truck being able to get up and go when i want it to.
That's why I've got three V8's

Old 02-14-2011, 01:29 PM
Moparkyle
All Star

If you're going to get platinum plugs get double platinum. Better for the waste spark and tend to last a lot longer than copper.

Also in my Neon the first half of the tank takes forever then the second half disappears.

Quick Reply: new here with a few questions