2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

heater core bypassing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 06:45 PM
suntzzu
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question heater core bypassing?

My heater core is apparantly bad, it started shooting coolant pretty bad all over the windows a few days ago. The heater still blows hot and I cant find any coolant leaking anywhere on the carpet or as far as I can reach on the dash though. when I looked at replacing it, its beyond my mechanical capabilities. I called about pricing, and $700 is a bit too much for heat. If I bypass it, will it give me problems? Also to do that, I drain the coolant but will any coolant remain in the core? Im not super familiar with how to drain the coolant, but I do know how to flush the system. Any advice is appreciated!

Old 02-16-2011, 07:23 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you live where you need a heater, you won't like it one bit.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:49 PM
TaterTodd
Professional

By passing it won't cause any problems, but like Darth said ... how important is heat to you ... I'm in Florida, A/C is a must not heat ... how about you? They'll be a little bit that drains out when you remove the hoses but after being by passed I've never had a problem with coolant afterwards.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:27 PM
suntzzu

I live in dallas. I am so used to not using a heater though because my suvs heater is out and I never fixed it. not having a defrost kinda sucks a little but i got a plug in heater and a fan if i really needed them. I just use the neon for the gas mileage, but am worried to drive it with it pumping that coolant out.

Quick Reply: heater core bypassing?