2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

NGC question

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 10:53 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The only way to tell by the VIN is if you call the dealer where the car was serviced to have them check their records of an update being done. Don't know what dealer has possibly serviced the car? Then...

The DRBIII has to be hooked up to the computer to tell what software version the car has.You'll pretty much be charged either way, update or not, unless you know someone.

I personally wouldn't post my VIN up on the open internet either. One of the VIN numbers is a check value to help try and prevent someone copying that VIN. If you want it deleted, let me know.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:57 PM
TaterTodd
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I wouldn't just throw the vin up like that ... not a good idea ... Darth, I'd think about deleting that for em' ...

Old 03-11-2011, 02:30 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I'm only going to edit it if he wants me to. It's his choice.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:16 AM
gcretro

Thx I removed the VIN.

I emailed 2 dealers, they said the same thing, that they would need to hook up & check. One said $50 to check and 75 to update. I was like no thanks. Another said $95 including flashing if there is an update.

I think I'll leave it alone unless I can get it done for like 50 since it's a nice to have.

Just curious, isn't there a listing of recommended updates availables based on a neon's build date... somewhere? Google got me some but sketchy.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:49 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

There are TSB's, but that only applies to certain MY cars. If you aren't the original owner though, you have no way of knowing if said update was done. I just got the PCM/TCM updated the other day after I changed the solenoid pack on the transmission. The car is running damn good, I must say. The latest update is from 2005, I'd guess. The date of the TSB for my 2003 was May 17, 2005.

Just looked for you, and there is a TSB for an update for 2004 Neons.
NUMBER: 18-025-04 REV. A
GROUP: Vehicle Performance
DATE: August 21, 2004
This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 2.0L engine (sales code ECH, ECB) built on or before June 2, 2004
You can find out the build date from the door jamb sticker. My opinion, if you want it done, just go in and pay the $75 for the latest PCM flash (just tell them you want the newest flash, that's what I did); don't have them check and then do it. It was $65 to hook it up and check at the nearest Dodge dealer, and I started questioning him, and he'd said he'd do the update included in that $65 since the DRBIII had to be hooked up anyways to check it. I paid more as I went to a local shop, and it had to be towed there.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:38 AM
CyrilKeir

Pardon my intrusion, but what are the benefits to having the PCM updated/flashed? Better tweaking of the electronics for better fuel mileage or something? Is it something you'd recommend?

Old 03-12-2011, 05:18 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

It's Dodge stuff. Since everything is electronically controlled, I guess the newer software makes everything work better; like an update for your PC kind of thing.

Quick Reply: NGC question