2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Looking at buying a 2005, what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 08:24 AM
bmc2004
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always have a mechanic do a general inspection of a car. Usually a dealer will let you take a used car to a mechanic to have it checked out. Also check the radiator and level of coolant and ride it and see how the tranny is. Also find out if it's ever had the head gasket changed. Those are just some of my experiences with neons i wish i would've checked. But like darthroush saidn make sure the collant is red because sometimes depending on how long antifreeze has mixed with it, it may look like pepto bismal and be chunky in that case youll be looking at some repair expenses.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:59 AM
Nick P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by darthroush
The key dance means you turn the key from off to on (not start), three times one after the other, ending with the key in the on position. The odometer will flash any trouble codes if there are some, then it will say "done." Just a quick check for anything out of order.
I have an OBD II reader, essentially the same thing without the hassle?

thanks!

Old 03-01-2011, 04:30 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, it's just a quicker check. Good thing to have if you are somewhere, a code pops up, and you want to know what it is. Only takes about 2 seconds to do, but a scanner is more complete in it's scanning which is why it takes longer.

Quick Reply: Looking at buying a 2005, what to look for?