2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2003 neon SE strut and spring time to replace?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 10:28 PM
Mad Professor
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 neon SE strut and spring time to replace?

What is the ride height of 2003 neon SE?
mileage 111K *I think I have the OEM struts and spring.

I'm thinking about replacing strut/shock and spring on my 2003 neon.

I think the front springs are pretty compressed since I just threw my body on the hood of the car and it bottom out *or I think it did.* Heard some creaking. Front tires are worn down to the indicator on the tires *rated for 85K I'm at 60K, worn evenly across, rounded on the edges.

I think the back is ok except I'm getting wear on the outer edge of the tires.

Road conditions around here in orlando is brick streets and poor pavement conditions with a slight chance of pot holes.

I hear creaking and loud thunks/pop when going over bumps and pot holes also when car bottoms out.

I just want to get the monroe quick strut assy. for easy install.

Question is.. is it time?

Thanks

Old 03-15-2011, 11:41 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Could be bad struts. Bad lower control arm bushings, outer tie rod ends and ball joints will also cause a bunch of noise. A lot of tire shops will inspect that stuff for free.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:49 AM
CyrilKeir

Orlando Florida? I know that tires here in Florida usually have a lifespan anywhere from 10-18k miles less than the tires state specifically.

Also, welcome to Dodge Forums. Darth is the go-to-guy, if he suggests something, check it out.

I know that Tatertodd and I are two of the few Florida neon owners on here, so if you are in Florida, you're a welcomed addition.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:02 AM
Mad Professor
Amateur

Yep downtown orlando, brick streets everywhere, incorrect light timings and broken ground sensors. Trying to get anywhere at rush hour is a headache. Especially going from I4 to the 408 East is nightmare in itself. Wish I lived out in longwood since they actually take care of their roads and their traffic management is good. At least I don't live in ocoee, mainstreet is a nightmare at 2 in the afternoon.

Anyways....

Wouldn't the outer tie-rod ends cause play in the steering wheel?

I have some time this weekend. I'll jack up the car and check the struts and spring, control arm bushings and ball joints. If I have to replace the control arm bushings, then I will replace the strut and springs too.

I love my neon and I drive it like a hummer. no mercy!
It's a good car, disappointed that dodge discontinued it.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:58 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They can cause play in the steering wheel if they are bad enough. Mine were bad, but not enough for me to really notice anything in the wheel. At 111,000 miles, I'm just saying, they are worth checking out especially if road conditions are the best.

No point in replacing the struts and leaving other bad suspension components on the car. If you need new lower control arm bushings as a lot of people do, Prothane makes poly replacements that work well. They also have swaybar endlinks and bushings and so on if any other bushings are worn as well.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:42 PM
Mad Professor
Amateur

So I'm not going to be able to jack up the neon this weekend, because I'm replacing the bushings in my friends 1970 Oldsmobile 98. It was suppose to be a simple 1 day job, but the passenger side lower ball-joint is trashed *metal on metal.* We had to order one and have a shop drill it out *riveted to the control arm* and pressed in. I only have the ability to do bushings and small ball-joints and not massive ones like his. The part won't be here til tuesday, so I have to wait til then to get my carport back.

Sorry for the wait guys...

Old 03-17-2011, 08:54 PM
AnthemBassMan
Veteran

-I have the Prothanes in my SXT and it eliminated the noise completely. But I also had a bad tierod end and that was another noise that was masked by the control arm bushings. She's been silent ever since. Just make sure you use all of the grease they send you with the bushings.

L8R,
Matt

Quick Reply: 2003 neon SE strut and spring time to replace?