2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Interior problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 01:27 AM
jasongkrantz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Interior problems

So i have an 04 se and im searching high and low for replacement carpet and im not having any luck so im wondering.. should i dye my carpet? my interior is light/dark grey but i think i wanna do black carpet has anyone ever attempted this and where can i buy the stuff to do it . and how much and im gonna need to spend? also would this same dye work on cloth seats? any advice would be great thanks.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:41 AM
CyrilKeir

... I'd be really apprehensive to dye the carpeting in a car. It just seems like a few too many things could go wrong with that.

I feel ya though- I'm doing a black/red theme on the interior, and my carpet is a dark grey, while my headliner is a tan color. I am going to have a new headliner put in, to make it black.

You MIGHT be able to find a shop that will re-carpet it. Most car carpeting is stock carpet, cut to fit. As far as how much it would be, I can't guess at that.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:52 AM
srt4rez
Professional

Check around at your local salvage yards for a carpet, that way if it doesn't come out like the way you wanted it, you can always replace it back. Maybe an upholstery spray might be able to do it. They come in different colors of spray cans. Check at your local car paint store, they might recommend something that will work for you. Good luck!

Old 03-31-2011, 11:37 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd clean the crap out of the carpet, out of the car, and find a liquid dye (mixes with water kind of thing; maybe mix some black Rit with water) that will actually soak into the fibers and dye it instead of an aerosol which will just coat the fibers and make it feel rough. You'll want some gloves and a brush so after you spray the heck out of the carpet, you can work the dye in well with the brush. Do two or three good applications, letting the carpet completely dry between apps. Here's this stuff I just found: http://www.goestores.com/storename/d...-198128-3.aspx

You could also just go buy that universal carpet they sell at parts stores, and even some Wal-Marts, and just custom-make a carpet.

Last edited by darthroush; 03-31-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:56 AM
showsxt
Record Breaker

Yeah custom making a black carpet would do nicely. My sxt actually came with black carpet and black seats so Im lucky you can try going to a junk yard and see if they have sxts with black carpet also.

Quick Reply: Interior problems