2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Timing Belt and Water Pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 10:09 PM
parkwoodtech
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt and Water Pump

I have had several 1st gen neons. I have been out of the loop with neons since about 2005. I ran across a guy with a 2000 Plymouth for $600. Needed a timing belt and water pump. I have done many of these on the first gen neons. This is the first 2nd gen I have owned. I have also bought a 2002 Dodge Neon for my daughter a few weeks back. I really don't know the history of the car since it didn't run when I bought it. But the guy says he was driving to work one day and it popped and quit running. He had to tow it home. I towed it from his house to mine.

I changed the water pump and timing belt. The old water pump seized up. The old belt was broke in half. I lined up all the timing marks. I installed the belt. Verified everything was still lined up. Put everything back together. The car would not start. I noticed the car was on empty and the gas light was one. I went to the gas station put $5 in a can and put it in the car. It started but I had to pump the gas. And if I let off the gas it stalls. It runs really rough. Also it cuts out right at 4k rpms. It will not go any further. Also while I had it running and pumping the gas both of my belts came off. The alternator belt and serpentine belt. I installed them and tightened everything up earlier. As soon as I let off the gas it dies again. I then have to pump the gas and hold it to the floor for it to start and keep my foot on the gas to keep it running. Like I said I have had multiple 1st gens and have done probably 4-5 of the timing belts on mine and other neons. I have done a few Caravan timing belts too. So I know what to expect and as I said I know everything is lined up unless it skipped a tooth after I put it back together. Also I reused the old tensioner.

I am hoping there are no bent valves but beginning to wonder now. Does anyone have any ideas? I am probably going to tear it down again this coming week and go after the head this time too. Unless someone has some other ideas.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:56 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If the water pump seized up and broke the belt, it is very likely the valves met the pistons.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:36 AM
AnthemBassMan
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

-Yeah, you better pull the head to and check the valve and pistons. Also, I'm not sure if your '00 Neon has it, but my '05 SXT has a rev limiter where it won't go past 3500 or 3800 rpms while in park or neutral. So that would be the reason you can't get it past 4000 rpms.

L8R,
Matt

Quick Reply: Timing Belt and Water Pump