2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Starter Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 09:38 PM
d.k04
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Starter Problems

Ok Got my 04 sx back on the road yesterday. had a blown trans. changed out. car sat for about a year....some of the time in the snow. ok brought car home after drive 60sih km on highway, shut off and it wouldnt start again? good battery and all. was hearing a clicking noise from the interior fuse panel. all fuses good. ok so i played with the starter wire and it fired up. drove car to wash it and wouldnt start agiain? ...main starter wire was loose so i tighened it. nothing still. then there is a wire that is on top of starter that goes into harness? need to know what that is b/c i thought that was the igniton wire to jump start it but ended up being wrong wire, it broke off....let the car sit for awhile and it started!!!! got home maybe 15 km and wouldnt start again? HELP PLZZZ

Old 06-01-2011, 09:46 PM
hemi4spd
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look for voltage using this diagram as a reference

http://i53.tinypic.com/11lucqr.jpg

Old 06-02-2011, 01:56 AM
Icon_xof
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, check your voltages. I would also check the connection surfaces of the wire you tightened for corrosion. If it was loose the whole time it sat, it could have built up a lot of crud, which would explain the intermittent connection.
Also, check the starter relay located in the underhood fuse box. Try switching it out with the spare (if there's one in there) or the horn relay. This is where the brown wire from the starter goes (through a wire loom). The other wires (black and grey) are the ground and fusible links (also in a wire loom).

Last edited by Icon_xof; 06-02-2011 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Forgot something.

Quick Reply: Starter Problems