2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Prob with replacement trans solenoid pack

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 12:28 PM
twoskinsoneman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prob with replacement trans solenoid pack

I got this part from autozone. It has these split pins where the through bolts go. First of all there is a third split pin on the new one. Also the split pins stick out too far. I'm afraid they will prevent proper seating of the solenoid pack, unless they seat further as I torque the bolts down...

I checked also with advanced auto and their replacement is the same way. What gives? Should I remove the unneeded split pin and try to seat the other two a little or go to the dealer for 2-3 times the money?

Added: check all of the internet and anywhere that these are shown with a pic it shows three pins

This the new part:

Old Part:

Name:  IMG_3847.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  92.9 KB

Tranny: You can see the third bolt should not have the split pin guide

Name:  IMG_3846.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  109.8 KB

Last edited by twoskinsoneman; 06-06-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:24 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Who makes that one? I bought a Borg-Warner unit; they make the factory ones.

EDIT: I went and checked the one I pulled off of my car (the original), and it's the same as yours (the two pins). I also went and looked at pictures of the newer units, and they seem to have three pins. I cannot remember if mine did or not. I didn't look.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOPAR...item3f09f6ac9a

Last edited by darthroush; 06-06-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:06 PM
twoskinsoneman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by darthroush
Who makes that one? I bought a Borg-Warner unit; they make the factory ones.

EDIT: I went and checked the one I pulled off of my car (the original), and it's the same as yours (the two pins). I also went and looked at pictures of the newer units, and they seem to have three pins. I cannot remember if mine did or not. I didn't look.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOPAR...item3f09f6ac9a
Honestly I don't know who without yanking the air cleaner back out. It was Duralast from Autozone but obviously just a selling name. When I saw you post Borg-Warner I could have sworn to be 95% sure that was it ( a bossed name in the casting) but it could have always be the power of persuasion.

Anyway I ended up yanking the third split pin and tapping the other two to match exactly the old ones. (measured with calipers)

Tossed it in and put everything back together. Drove it for 10 minutes with no codes but won't trust the fix until I drive it for a couple weeks. I would have taken it out for a nice long drive but I was on the brink of drunk... you know the wife always feeds me beer after frosty beer when I'm working on the vehicles.

Here's what really perplexes me. When I checked the old solenoid out I found an open in the the "B" solenoid (pin 4 to pin 8 open). the other three showed 1.5 ohms each. The perplexing thing is, if I understand the manual properly, in limp mode the tranny is stuck in second but how could it GO into second if that solenoid coil was open????

Weird.

Quick Reply: Prob with replacement trans solenoid pack