2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2000 Neon ECM problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 07:40 PM
jeff lei
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Neon ECM problems

Rebuilt engine and trans on my Neon and when I tried to start it did nothing, no noise nothing. I did some troubleshooting and found the ECM was died. Had 12volt to ECM but no volts to starter relay. Ordered a remaned/reprogrammed ECM and it started right up. I drove the car about 160miles and the ECM died again with the same fault, no crank and no power to starter relay. I'm guessing that I have a short in the engine wiring harness. Where should I start to look?

Old 09-05-2011, 11:37 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The wiring to and from the PCM? If you think you have a wiring short, you need to go over the wires; plain and simple.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:56 AM
tbennett304
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you found the wiring problem yet? If not, I have had a very similar situation and I found the wiring insulation to be melted or worn going to the alternator and crankshaft position sensor. The wires run between the exhaust manifold and passenger side axle. I plan to go to a local u-pull-it yard and get a wiring harness (at least from the corner of valve cover to the ends) to extend these wires to run against the firewall away from heat and moving components a.k.a. axle. A question I have (if you or anyone else can answer) is did the ECM get destroyed or is there something I'm missing to get this engine cranking again without buying another ECM?

Quick Reply: 2000 Neon ECM problems