2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2003 Rear Brake Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 11:30 AM
wjg218
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Rear Brake Issue

Hello Forum mates,

I have a 2003 Dodge Neon and this morning my rare driver side brake locked up on me. It loosened up when I pulled up the e-brake and then brought it down, however once I tapped the brakes it would lock up again. (This little trick stopped working luckily before I made it onto a major roadway.) It exhibited similar activity about 2 weeks but loosened up and ran okay after about 5 minutes. They had also be squeaking a bit, which the family mechanic wasn't too concerned about.

I walked down to a local auto shop and they said it was the brake line and was common for the Neon line. It has 76,000ish miles on it and I live in New England. I read in another forum that the lines can erode a bit in the harsh weather and be affected by the sands that get laid during the winter months during the snow storms.

Since I am not very knowledgeable about cars and always hesitant to trust auto-shops, I was hoping someone could verify if this is the potential issue to my car and what the price range I should expect for repairing a brake line.

Thanks!!!

William

Old 09-26-2011, 02:49 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Of course it is "common for Neons." I've heard that about half of the stuff on 'em. I'd check the wheel cylinder first. They wear down and then stop working properly. About $10 at a parts store.

Quick Reply: 2003 Rear Brake Issue