2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Its getting worse(noise)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 08:44 AM
HEMI ?
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Its getting worse(noise)

Awhile ago i posted a slight tickign noise on my 2004 dodge neon at about 3200 rpm's....well its getting worse. Now i get the tick at 2500 to 2700 rpm's then it goes away and then comes back at the 3200 again up until the engine is to loud i cant hear it anymore. I am thinking its the lifters and am looking for a decent place to buy them. I was thinking oem but have not really looked into it much. Now my question is this if i am going into the engine to fix this would it be a wise choice to do other things while i am inside it? I am not looking for a rocketship here its a neon i know what i got its peppy and thats okay with me, I baught this more for the mpg anyway as 30 mpg is alot better then my 20 i was gettign in my 300m.

Oh its a 2004 dodge neon 5 speed with about 145k miles on it if that helps.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:39 PM
HEMI ?
Rookie

Okay anotehr update. No lifters...lol yeah rockers i guess from what the dodge store is saying and they are pricey to.

I also stuck a pop bottle on the gas pedal and went under the hood myself and it sounde like the noise is coming more from the back side of the engine. I could not tell 100% but its a harsh tick from 2500 to 270 then it goes soft but is still their untill 3200 where it gets real loud again. I will try and get a video or somethign up for a bit more detail as well later today when i get home from work. Also engine oil level is good no lights are on and it seems to drive well just very loud at those rpm's. I dont think its the typical neon tick as this would drive owners mad if it is.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:49 PM
chew*
Professional

It's quite possible your hearing piston slap and not lifters however i could be wrong, preety normal for neons, more common in standards than auto's. It's caused by loose tolerance levels and compounded by thrust bearing wear which is common in standards.

As long as the noise doesn't get worse at higher RPM ( possible wrist pin ) you should be fine.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:33 PM
hemi4spd
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i remember a bunch of 2.0L blocks getting replaced for wrist pins(but theese were early builds and I'm sure Mother had fixed the problem by '04)

a good way to check if its the piston Or Valvetrain is.... while its running pull plug wire off one at a time. (this will usually identify the problem cyliner too) if tick goes away whem wire is pulled off then its likely wrist pins or piston slap. if tick remains its in the valvetrain

Quick Reply: Its getting worse(noise)