2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Dome light issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 01:59 AM
RapturesVictor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dome light issues

Hey guys, new to the forum and new to the neon. So far im loving it, just fixing a few small things here and there.

Ive got an issue with my dome light. The original owner told me that he took the bulb out because it wouldnt shut off. Initially i thought that he either couldnt find the off switch or that a door sensor switch was damaged.
Let me add that a light was reading FUSE. I went and put a bulb in the dome light and the FUSE light went away and the light would turn off when i got out of the car.
But i went into my car to mess with my next project and when i got out, the light wouldnt turn off

So i figure its my door sensors for sure at first..but when checking all of the door sensors, each of them made my "door open" light and milage turn off, but the domelight remains on. Could it still be a damaged sensor that needs to be replaced?
It gets better. So if im in the car and i turn the light switch to always on and then back down to regular setting, it shuts the light off. but when i open the door and close it again, the light will not turn off.

any help is greatly apreciated!

Old 10-23-2011, 03:27 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How long are you waiting for the light to turn off? There's a courtesy-type setting where the light stays on for a bit so you can see what you are grabbing at night before you get out of the car.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:33 AM
buddhaman
Veteran

x2 on what Darth said. Mine will stay on for up to 10-15 mins before it goes off. Even if the switch is messing up and it says the door is open but they're all closed, it'll turn itself off so it doesn't kill the battery.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:23 PM
RapturesVictor

Originally Posted by darthroush
How long are you waiting for the light to turn off? There's a courtesy-type setting where the light stays on for a bit so you can see what you are grabbing at night before you get out of the car.
I only waited 15 seconds to be honest. but only because earlier in the day when I installed the bulb, the light would turn off within 3-5 seconds of closing the door.
that's why I became concerned.
Ill go in there and see if it will shut off after some time and ill also mess with the switch and see what I learn and report back.
Thanks for the speedy responses, I really apreciate it!

Old 10-23-2011, 02:38 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know how it determines how long to stay on. I've had it not come on at all, and then I've had it stay on for quite a while. In fact, there have been times where I've gone back to check and make sure the light finally turned off.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:16 PM
RapturesVictor

OK fellas, i feel a bit foolish now.
After a little bit of messing around, i figured out that if the car was recently running or the key was just turned to accesory, the light dims in seconds. But if the car has sat for a bit, it will then stay on for exactly 30 seconds and then it too dims.

In my defense, ive had this car a week and my previous cars have been foriegn.

Thanks for the input darth

Old 10-27-2011, 06:11 PM
MJSchutt
Amateur

Originally Posted by RapturesVictor
OK fellas, i feel a bit foolish now.
After a little bit of messing around, i figured out that if the car was recently running or the key was just turned to accesory, the light dims in seconds. But if the car has sat for a bit, it will then stay on for exactly 30 seconds and then it too dims.

I noticed recently on mine that if i just turn the car off and get out, it will stay on for only a few seconds. but if i turn the car off, turn the light to always on, turn the light off, and get out of the car, it will stay on about 1 min after I leave the car.

Quick Reply: Dome light issues