2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Automatic Transmission Problem..

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 08:46 PM
vehemencefilth
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic Transmission Problem..

Hey everyone. I have a major problem with my transmission in my 2003 Neon SXT that I tried searching for on here but I can't find any threads that are about the exact problem that I'm having. ANY OPINIONS OR IDEAS WILL HELP. I am at a loss right now and I'm completely dumb-founded with this so I'll explain exactly what is happening and what I have done.

When I started my car yesterday, the transmission started making a really high-pitched whining sound. It was not constant in volume or level. It would get louder and quieter inconsistently. No matter in park, reverse, neutral, drive, 3rd, or 1st, it made the noise.

I backed out of my parking spot with no problem, and then put it in drive. When I gave it gas, all it did was rev up and not move. The RPMs went to 4000 and it didn't move. So I tried 3rd, same thing. 1st gear, same thing. So I put it back in drive and pumped the gas and it finally engaged. Luckily I was able to make it home from work thanks to the help of a guy I work with following me with our 4-ways on. I was in drive but could not go any faster than 25mph because when it should have shifted, it would not. When it felt like it should have shifted, the RPMs just went way up and nothing was engaged, almost as though it had gone into neutral.

Today, I started it up and let it warm up in park. I popped it into neutral and pulled the parking brake and checked the transmission fluid. It was low, but it did not smell burnt or anything. So I added the proper amount of transmission fluid and let it run a little bit longer.

Then, I decided to take it for a ride to see if I had in fact solved my problem. I checked out all the gears in my driveway. All of which engaged fine. I popped it in drive and started a nice, leisurely drive around town. It ran perfect! I was stoked and pumped thinking I had fixed my problem that almost left me stranded at my workplace. But this was short lived.

After a very nice, perfect ride of about 5 miles, wherein the car shifted perfectly and drove absolutely fine, I came to a stop sign. I stopped, and gave the car gas to continue, and of course, the high pitched sound started right back up again. And yet again, when it should have shifted, it just revved up really high and caught hard. Ran perfectly for 5 miles, and now again doing the same thing.

When I got back to my house, I figured, 'Well maybe I have a transmission leak. Maybe the fluid that I put in just leaked out and that's why it started again.' So I checked the transmission fluid, and the level is fine. None leaked out.

Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be? I take great care of my car. All the proper regular checks and maintenance checks have been done. The has relatively low mileage for the year (89,000). Any opinions??!

Old 10-25-2011, 12:24 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Does the car have any codes (the check engine does not need to be on either...)?

Quick Reply: Automatic Transmission Problem..