2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

bigger spark plug wires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 05:11 AM
supablue
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bigger spark plug wires?

so im looking for a set of really good 10mm plug wires but can only find 8.5 for my year they have them for older models anyone no where i could find ? and no havent looked in stores yet

Old 10-27-2011, 06:31 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What kind of ignition are you running that requires 10mm wires? Make your own set?

Old 10-28-2011, 04:24 AM
supablue

everything is stock but im looking to change alot soon and im wanting the 10mm wires

Old 10-28-2011, 03:38 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's not very specific, but the reason you can find 8.5mm and not 10mm, is because 8.5mm is plenty for most any street engine performance-wise. The 8.5mm and 10mm have pretty much the same performance, but the 10mm can withstand higher temperatures...temperatures that if your Neon ever saw, having a spark plug cable that could withstand it would be the least of your worries.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:58 PM
chew*
Professional

I agree with darth, size in this case doesn't really matter anyway.....if a 10mm wire has more resistance than an 8.5mm wire it does not make the 10mm wire better becasue it's bigger.

Grab a set of grantellies for $49.99 and call it a day. They have very low resistance compared to competing products.

Plugs and indexing plugs will make more of a difference than any coil or wire set you can buy for a 2.0 sohc neon.

None of the above parts will net you any HP/torque anyway, plugs can net you smoother throttle response, indexing might gain you 1hp, debatable unless dyno proven on a neon.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:06 PM
buddhaman
Veteran

Wouldn't indexing them be pointless on these cars since the plugs go to the center of the chamber? Side gapping might be worthwhile though. I have to get a feeler gauge before I put mine in so I can make sure they're gapped properly since they're already cut where they need to be. Plug wise, if the car is stock, you don't need anything more than copper plugs, Pt and Ir are a waste of money.

Info on side gapping: http://performanceunlimited.com/docu...degapping.html

Last edited by buddhaman; 10-28-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:18 PM
chew*
Professional

Originally Posted by buddhaman
Wouldn't indexing them be pointless on these cars since the plugs go to the center of the chamber? Side gapping might be worthwhile though. I have to get a feeler gauge before I put mine in so I can make sure they're gapped properly since they're already cut where they need to be. Plug wise, if the car is stock, you don't need anything more than copper plugs, Pt and Ir are a waste of money.
Possible like i said it's debatable, for now i have them all indexed so that the open side faces the intake ports.

If at all everything is uniform flow wise in the cylinders.

I tried a few diff plugs already, ngk coppers, champion coppers and ngk iridiums.

I like the response better with the ngk iridums but my car isn't stock.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:21 PM
buddhaman
Veteran

Makes sense. I'll try to index mine this weekend and see if I can tell any difference in either mileage or idle/response. Wouldn't hurt to try the side gapping on your car. Costs $8 and could be well worth it. I did that on my old truck that had a 5.0 and helped out a bit.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:40 PM
chew*
Professional

I will def give it a shot. I have a few spare sets sitting around.

I might be tempted to try some ac delco rapid fires like this, might actually work really well since the electrode has 12 sharp tapered points as one wears out it might switch naturally to the next closest point extending plug life.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:46 PM
buddhaman
Veteran

Awesome, let us know how it works out. How hard was it to index the plugs in your car?

Quick Reply: bigger spark plug wires?