2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

oil overfill...(did i just screw myself?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 02:38 AM
earlyre
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil overfill...(did i just screw myself?)

so, about 17 days or so ago, i did my second ever DIY oil Change.

1st time around i followed instructions i found somewhere on this site to the letter, including the fluid volume indicated( says 4.5qts, I've seen others say it's only 4qts). any how, this time around, i was a little pressed for time, and not thinking i put the whole 5.1 qt jug in. and didn't think anything of it. cut to today, i check the dipstick (car had been sitting a full 24 hrs), and it is definitely above the full line, in fact it seems like there is oil coating the whole lower portion, up to the squiggly bits.

so, by my figures, i went over by .5-1qt. and have been driving it thusly for half a month. did i screw the proverbial pooch, or am i making a big fuss over nothing?

Old 11-12-2011, 03:30 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Under a 1/2 quart is usually fine (i.e.- just a bit over the full mark), but anything over that and you should drain some out. Just loosen the bolt a bit, let some dribble out into an empty quart container, and when it is 1/2 full, tighten the bolt back up. Done deal and you'll be very close to exactly where you should be as those easy oil change jugs are 5 quarts.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:43 PM
earlyre
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thought about it, and when i did the oil change, nothing came out of the drain untill the plug was pretty much out. and not looking to make a bigger mess of things, i spent about $7 on a little siphon pump that has a tube small enough to fit down the dipstick tube. now to scrounge a quart container(really a pint would do) that no one would mind getting oil into....( my folks have glass canning jars out the yin-yang, shouldn't be to much of an issue)
to be tackled in the daylight hours tomorrow.

Quick Reply: oil overfill...(did i just screw myself?)