2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Idle Undershoot Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 08:29 AM
cec311
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle Undershoot Issues

I tried the fix, by drilling a 1/8 hole in throttle body butterfly but the idle in drive at a stop was still around 500 rpms. I made the hole a little bigger to get the idle up to around 650 rpm so the car wouldn't shake so violently at every stoplight.

The problem I'm getting now is if you let it idle in park for over about 5 seconds it idles up to about 1700 rpm and throws a check engine light for idling to fast. I have to get it inspected in Dec. to renew my tag and it won't pass with a CEL on.

I've already changed the IAC, coil pack, plugs, wires and I'm about to drive it off in the water at the lake. Any other suggestions of "things" to try to get the stupid car to idle in drive?

Old 12-28-2011, 10:29 PM
caoe74
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check for vacuum leaks. Also test your ECM to see if it's sending the wrong signal to the IAC valve opening it wide while on idle.
To quickly rule out any problems with the IAC/ECM unplug the IAC with the ignition off, then turn the engine on and see if your idle goes up. If it does then is very likely a vacuum leak... To test for vacuum leaks use a lit cigarette. Yes! a cigarette... Plug the intake with a rubber glove and disconnect the hose going to the brake booster, then blow some smoke thru the hose and watch for any smoke leaking. That's a quick and easy way to find a vacuum leak.
Good luck friend!

Quick Reply: Idle Undershoot Issues