2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

started tearing into the timing.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 01:53 AM
chronoboy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default started tearing into the timing.

Well I started in with the replacement of the timing belt today, and I ive got pretty far, got everything tore down, and found the timing belt shreded and the water pump feals pretty worn, so i have already put the new water pump on and since i figured i was in there i got the crankshaft seal and camshaft seal and have already replaced the cam shaft seal but then the start of my issues came when i decided to do the crankshaft seal and realized i had to pull off the timing gear sprocket on the crankshaft, so i went to autozone and got a harmonic puller but it didnt come with the right bolts to thread into the sprocket, but i did realize that the bolts for the coil pack are the right kind so now im woundering if its ok to use those bolts to pull off the sprocket or am i going to damage the sprocket?

Next issue is that the timing kit i bought came with the wrong tensioner but the old one seems to be in great shape still so you think it would be fine to use again?

I also realized the motor mounts are shot, the top one not so much but the lower one is, i bought firm inserts so do you think it will be fine to just put the inserts in and call it good?

All in all though its going pretty good, until i figure out if the head is damaged or not, now i just hope i can figure out the timing alignment figured out.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:00 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you worried about the coil pack bolts ruining the sprocket? The sprocket is probably harder metal than those bolts. The bolts could snap off I suppose...

I wouldn't reuse the tensioner. I've never heard of someone reusing it, so I can't say what might happen.

Inserts are meant to go into [like] new mounts.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:43 AM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain

yeah don't re-use the tensioner!! The new style for the PT cruiser is the way to go it's all metal & no spring tension constantly stretching the timing belt. Make sure your new tensioner is not spring loaded like the old one you just took off.

http://chronoscender.freeservers.com...imingbelt.html

Old 03-16-2012, 02:53 AM
chronoboy
Rookie

well I got my neighbor "A Mechanic" to come over and look at it and he did some checking with the head and said he didnt think it had any bent valves, so i put it all back together and fired her up and she started right up and seems to run great, had good throttle response, but one problem i noticed was a kinda ticking noise comming from the front of the engine almost like a lifter but sounds like it might be comming from the intake manifold, i did take the intake manifold off cause i was about to take the head off just for the heck of it, when i put my ear up to it the sound dont seem like its coming from the top of the head but more from where the intake meats the head, i was a little nervouse when i put the intake back on cause i didnt clean that area off and i think some debree got in there, would a leak their cause it to run about 400 rpm higher at idle? and would spraying carb cleaner around the manifold tell me if their is a leak? i would ask my neighbor but i dont really know him and ive already bugged him anough the last two days plus he is sick right now.

on another note those inserts definetly makes you feal the motor vibration at idle when sitting in it, not real bad or anything but anough that you notice it.

Quick Reply: started tearing into the timing.