2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Is this the part?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 11:19 PM
cmllewis
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this the part?

I posted a few days ago asking for help in identifying where to locate and how to access the switch that triggers the door ajar warning.

Well today, I took off the door panel and the only place I could find an electrical connection is on the part I've attached photos of. I don't have power doors or windows, so this has to be it. Can anyone out there verify that this is the correct part? I looks like to me that you have to replace the entire door latch. Can anyone confirm that? Anybody have any idea on how much this is to replace.

Thanks for any help at all.

Attached Thumbnails Is this the part?-004.jpg   Is this the part?-005.jpg   Is this the part?-006.jpg   Is this the part?-007.jpg   Is this the part?-008.jpg  

Last edited by cmllewis; 07-22-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:08 AM
caoe74
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is the part. Before you go out and buy a new one try spraying a lot of WD40 inside to free all things that can be stuck inside the latch. Don't disassemble the latch as it has springs and little gears inside that can fall off or shift making the lock unusable. Reinstall the latch and see if that works. I that fails then you have another option. Go to your car part store of choice and pick up an universal door jamb thingy(around $5), then drill a hole for it on the door by the jamb and use the wires on the connector to ground the new jamb switch. That should work and is cheaper than buying a new assembly. Of course, the easiest thing to do is to go out and buy a new one for about $75 at the dealer or used one on eBay for about $30... Your choice!

Old 09-13-2012, 10:03 PM
cmllewis
Default Door Ajar Warning

Well, I bought and replaced the left rear door latch and that seemed to have fixed the problem I was having with the door ajar light coming on, along with the dome light. That was until just a few days ago. All of a sudden it has started happening again, but with no real regularity. The door ajar light will come on along with the dome light and I hear the annoying chiming noise, and then it will go away about as quickly as it came on.

Any ideas on why this is happening. Could it be a ground wire somewhere? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah, along with the door ajar warning, the other day my air bag light came on, but the next time I drove it, it was off. This is all very frustrating.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:12 AM
cheapez
Veteran

The dome light is on when one of the doors wasn't shut carefully.

As for the air bag light, I don't know.
It should turn on when you first turn the ignition key to on (that indicates air bags are working), and then it turns off after that.

Last edited by cheapez; 02-04-2013 at 07:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Is this the part?