2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

exhaust questions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 01:22 AM
arnonefrank13
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question exhaust questions...

hello, I have a 2002 neon SE. was woundering if a header will fit if i just remove the mainifold or are the headers longer? ALSO the kit I saw on E bay comes with a downpipe...meaning running without the cat.... what problems would accure if you ran a header and downpipe with no cat? AlSO, running a header with CAT, would that be a downfall? thanks, please coment.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:02 AM
cheapez
Veteran

Exhaust manifold, and exhaust header are the same.

Down pipe is only a short pipe section of the exhaust system. It is attached to the end of the exhaust header, and runs down to the floor so you can attach everything else on it (tail pipe, muffler, straight pipe, cat, ...).

Aftermarket performance exhaust headers are for racing cars. They are tuned for more horsepower so they need bigger exhaust pipes to let the exhaust gas out. Your car is a stock car so you don't get benefit from that.

You will need a cat (or catalytic converter). You don't want to kill the environment, and get pull over man.

Last edited by cheapez; 02-03-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:06 AM
cheapez
Veteran

The new exhaust header will have different exhaust sound note.
If you like the sound it makes, go for it.

It won't hurt gas mileage or anything, but you should ask this question on a car tuning forum. Those guys know better than me.

Last edited by cheapez; 02-03-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:13 AM
cheapez
Veteran

Originally Posted by arnonefrank13
hello, I have a 2002 neon SE. was woundering if a header will fit if i just remove the mainifold or are the headers longer? ALSO the kit I saw on E bay comes with a downpipe...meaning running without the cat.... what problems would accure if you ran a header and downpipe with no cat? AlSO, running a header with CAT, would that be a downfall? thanks, please coment.
You will get the exhaust header, and downpipe only.
Everything else after the downpine, you must install them back in.
You can use your old muffler and cat, but they need to fit in with the aftermarket parts.

Last edited by cheapez; 02-03-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:21 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Link to the kit? I'm assuming the "downpipe" is simple a cat-delete tube. What problems would happen without the cat? A CEL. Possibly a ticket for smog violation and/or noise depending where you live.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:26 AM
arnonefrank13
Professional

im not gonna do the header...to much money invovled. its just a noisey neon..lol. but yeah a header would be cool.

Quick Reply: exhaust questions...