2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

head leakin oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 08:16 PM
cutlass46
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default head leakin oil

hey guys, i got an 05 neon sxt with 80,000 miles. recently i noticed that i had a small oil leak commin from the back side of my head. i replaced the valve cover gasket as i didnt put much more thought into it. today i found that it was still leakin and remembered i had read on here that one of the head bolts are too long n cause some to leak oil. My question is can i juss take the bolt out n cut it down or do i have to replace the head gasket as well? any advice will help greatly. thanks

Old 01-23-2013, 08:14 PM
richards83
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's interesting. I've never heard of the too long head bolt problem on Neon's. I know that was a problem on the 2.4 DOHC engines used in the mid to late 90's cloud cars (Stratus, Breeze & Cirrus). I did a few head gaskets on those PITA cars before somebody firgured out the head bolts were the problem and solution was to grind just a hair off the end of the offending bolt then chase the threads. The most common oil leaks I've seen on 2gn Neon's are the oil pressure switch, camshaft seals and cam position sensors. Good luck.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:24 PM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's probably the oil sending unit on the back of the eng, they seem to leak pretty easily after 60k miles. Easy fix though

Quick Reply: head leakin oil