2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2000 Plymouth Instrument Cluster

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 11:00 AM
steve die
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Plymouth Instrument Cluster

I have the base model Plymouth Instrument cluster with out Tachometer and was looking into purchasing a cluster that has one. My reasons are that the current baseline just seems cheap, buying one with a tachometer and other gadgets would spruce it up a bit. Secondly, I will be swapping out my automatic transmission for a manual in about a year.

Will any cluster from a 2000-01 Dodge/Plymouth work? From what I can find, yes it will. I have never taken the dash out and I have read that all you need to do is pull out some trim and unplug the cluster and then plug the new one in. No programing or anything needed, as far as i can tell. I would have thought something would need to be changed to get the Tach or low fuel light to work (unless my baseline has that just never has worked?) or if the odometer stores the miles or in the cluster.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:55 PM
Ryan 20
Amateur

I think any cluster from 2000-01 neon should work, here is a link that shows how to replace it.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:41 PM
steve die
Amateur

Thanks Ryan, I should have looked at this guys library of videos...i usually do. I noticed when he turned the car on the speedometer needle did not move, mine does when i turn the car on. Is that normal operation? If not I'd guess its my speed sensors, which may explain the bucking my transmission does when i go from PARK to Reverse or Drive. I'm going to search E-Bay for a replacement Cluster and order some Blue LEDs to make it look good.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:48 PM
Ryan 20
Amateur

I don't think the needle moving is normal. Do the other gauge needles move too?

If the car shifts perfect/normal after you start driving then the speed sensors should be good.

Does the speedometer read the correct speed when driving?

Old 04-14-2013, 08:15 PM
steve die
Amateur

Originally Posted by Ryan 20
I don't think the needle moving is normal. Do the other gauge needles move too?

If the car shifts perfect/normal after you start driving then the speed sensors should be good.

Does the speedometer read the correct speed when driving?
All the needles move when i start the car. After a second or two all the needles remain at the bottom, the fuel of course reads correctly (always seems to be low?!). The speedometer does function correctly once i start driving and the transmission shifts smoothly into gears. I wasn't sure if a bad speed sensor could cause harsh engagements or not, or possibly a pressure sensor on the transmission.

Found some Clusters for about $40 including shipping. Blue PC194 LEDS with the socket are $7 a piece, i believe 5 or 6 is needed...dang! Can't even find cheap blue coated incandescent bulbs. Plus I would like to remove the Odometer into the new cluster to keep the correct mileage (I would go completely nuts otherwise).

Old 04-15-2013, 03:32 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When you say move, do you mean they sweep or just twitch? Blue coated incandescent bulbs won't make blue light. The only way to change the mileage is with the Dodge DRBIII tool. Also: legally, they can only only move the mileage up, not down. Buy a cluster with a lower mileage than yours currently has.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:46 PM
steve die
Amateur

Originally Posted by darthroush
When you say move, do you mean they sweep or just twitch? Blue coated incandescent bulbs won't make blue light. The only way to change the mileage is with the Dodge DRBIII tool. Also: legally, they can only only move the mileage up, not down. Buy a cluster with a lower mileage than yours currently has.
They just sweep up, then down and function properly. I didn't think a blue incandescent bulb would work. I was reading that you can pull out the back lights and replace with blue LEDS that way it shines as blue instead of the light green. But i also read somewhere that there is a thin film on the back of the panel that gives it that light green color that you have to scrape off. Either way I can pull apart the new cluster and do it since I won't be in a rush.

I did some research and you can supposedly can remove the Odometer from a cluster by unscrewing it and then putting it in to the new one. Or is this some misleading information? If no one knows, I can be the guinea pig that tries it, if it fails i can go to the dealership and have them up the mileage to the right number (I'm proud of the high miles).

Old 04-15-2013, 08:10 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

If the needles sweep, that is usually indicative of a low voltage battery. You can use blue LEDs, but you'll get dark spots and the redline on a tach usually disappears. If you use cool white LEDs, it'll be a lighter blue but everything will be lit up brightly. The film only needs to be removed if you want a color other than blue and green.

Some cars you can do that with the odometer. I know the Mustang is one. The Neon is not one.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:58 PM
steve die
Amateur

Originally Posted by darthroush
If the needles sweep, that is usually indicative of a low voltage battery. You can use blue LEDs, but you'll get dark spots and the redline on a tach usually disappears. If you use cool white LEDs, it'll be a lighter blue but everything will be lit up brightly. The film only needs to be removed if you want a color other than blue and green.

Some cars you can do that with the odometer. I know the Mustang is one. The Neon is not one.

Hm, I noticed the needles aren't sweeping now. I just cleaned the throttle body, maybe that has something to do with it? The battery is almost new, the alternator is working properly so maybe a lose connection somewhere but it starts up fine, no lose or fluctuation in power.

What do you mean "dark spots"? just a spot where its not as dark of a blue than the rest? I'll have to find some cool white LEDS if the Blue ones are not to my liking. I'm going to bet your right though.

I wonder where the heck I read that than, interesting. That just irks me! lol. I guess i can get an odometer that has less miles and go to a Dodge Stealership and have them up the miles to the appropriate number.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:35 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Dark spots meaning there are spots where it is very dim. You can also see what I mean about the redline (any red, really) not being very visible:

Now, if you go with x5 cool white LEDs:

Attached Thumbnails 2000 Plymouth Instrument Cluster-car291.jpg   2000 Plymouth Instrument Cluster-car267.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2000 Plymouth Instrument Cluster