2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

R/T intake manifold on SXT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 03:52 AM
xarkhun
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R/T intake manifold on SXT?

I found a wrecked R/T in a salvage yard and bought the aluminum intake manifold to put on my SXT to get rid of the plastic one both cars are 03 will the R/T manifold just bolt right up and will my SXT have all the correct hoses and connectors to work properly? please help thanx

p.s. will this make my sxt 2.0 a 2.0 magnum?

Old 05-05-2013, 01:40 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, no and no. First: to make the R/T intake work, you'd need to wire in an RPM switch. Second: the 2.0 Magnum engine is DOHC, while the regular 2.0 is a SOHC. Lastly, that intake willflow too much air into your engine and create a bog during acceleration. I believe the only time the R/T intake is beneficial on a non-R/T engine is if the secondary butterflies are closed between 3-5K RPM, and even then, it's nothing you will notice. So, the only time you'd benefit is when the R/T intake manifold acts like the one already on your car. I guess the upside is after all that time and money to get everything to work correctly, the engine bay will look a little nicer.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:04 PM
xarkhun
Rookie

every thing ive read on the 03-04 rt's says that the 2.0 is a sohc not dohc so if i got the injectors and fuel rail would that help the bogging issue more fuel for the more air?

Old 05-05-2013, 08:47 PM
earlyre
Professional

what darth said was, that the 2.0 Magnum engine is DOHC, while the rest are SOHC

Old 05-06-2013, 02:22 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by xarkhun
every thing ive read on the 03-04 rt's says that the 2.0 is a sohc not dohc so if i got the injectors and fuel rail would that help the bogging issue more fuel for the more air?
Huh, I guess they do! I have never actually looked up what the 2nd Gen R/Ts had. I just assumed they were the same! Despite the R/T being a SOHC, you'd still want the complete R/T head. You'd also optimally want the R/T computer as there are spark and fuel differences between an R/T and non-R/T computer. The R/T runs on premium only and also has a tuned header (your best bet nowadays would be a shorty header) and dual exhaust. With the R/T intake manifold, you'd also need an R/T intake system as the parts are different lengths and have different bends due to the shape/size. AFAIK, those are the differences. Is all of that worth 18HP on a Neon? Not IMO. That's a good amount of money in parts alone, then all of the time and labor involved in swapping parts and wiring in switches, plus possibly Dodge programming depending how far into it you wanted to go. Then, you'll be filling up on premium only. That is of course your call.

The way the non-Magnum engine sits from the factory, the factory intake system is capable of flowing more air than the engine needs. You'd need to upgrade engine parts to need a better flowing intake system.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:15 AM
xarkhun
Rookie

more work than i want to do i'll just polish it leave the butterfly's closed and call it a day i just hate the look of the plastic manifold thanks for all the info darth

Quick Reply: R/T intake manifold on SXT?