2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

How do I make my 2nd Gen neon faster.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 06:16 AM
explrnlife
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How do I make my 2nd Gen neon faster.

I need to make a few changes sorry its like 3am and im extreamly tired.....lol
i ment to say Cold Air Intake-CAI not CIA ........lol
and as far as the spark plugs go:
Neons come with Copper which is one of the best conductors of electricity there is except for SILVER sorry not Iridium! below is a chart to show you exactly whats what with spark plugs

Properties of Materials

1)-Material

2)-Thermal
Conductivity
W/(m•K)

3)-Electrical
Conductivity
MS/m

1)-Silver
2)-407
3)-66

1)-Copper
2)-384
3)-57

1)-Gold
2)-310
3)-45

1)-Iridium
2)-147
3)-18

1)-Platinum
2)-70
3)-10

1)-Nickel
2)-59
3)-10

"as you can see platinum is not the best by any meens its a cheep spark plug that overheats, backfires and can cause your car
to sputter, loose power and even over heat...... they dont fire enuf for the neon our cars came with copper so either leave them in or get silver, thats the best advice i can give"

Old 11-15-2005, 04:36 PM
04 Neon SXT man

hey, i have an 04 Neon SXT and so far, i have put in (in order) Mopar dual exhaust (SRT-4 model) from Jegs for $415.00, and new 17' rims and tires. I have baught a cold air intake and lowering springs but they are not on yet. Does anybody have any great sugestions on what to get for it to make it faster, other than a turbo, that will be last maybe. I am going to be getting some underdrive pulley's here in a week or so. I wanna know if i can do anything to make it accelerate faster. I read that somebody earler on this thread said something about a PCM. where can i get one. and i feel like an idiot, but what is it?

Old 11-18-2005, 07:42 AM
gaustang4me

OK so, I just bought a brand spanking new (12 miles) 05 Neon SXT, 5 speed. I took it out for the test drive. A couple things I don't care for, but the price was right ($15,000). Things I don't like that will be addressed ASAP: Too much body roll, so new springs and probably struts and shocks. The shifter has crazy long throws, and I hate that friggin' rubber shift boot and ****. So I am getting a shifter and I am trying to find out if a SRT4 shift boot would fit, and if so where do I get one?

Now for power stuff. I am a Mustang fanatic, and I work on them as a hobbie, been at it for years. I am not looking for 300 WHP, but is 200 to far off with bolt ons? I don't want to go the forced induction or NO2 route, I want to keep it N/A. Can I rework the factory intake, or is it not worth it? What will the CAI, reprogramming the PCM, full exhaust, TB, and a cam get me. Also, can someone point me in the direction as far as which brands and where to get them?

And please someone help me find a better shifter, shift boot and ****, please, the factory stuff sucks...[:@]

Later,
Gary

Old 12-02-2005, 04:04 PM
tooslow
Veteran

here is my mods(go fast stuff) on a 03 r/t

iceman intake
thermal r/d muffler ( it sounds great but no power added)
mpx Underdrive pulley (this is the best mod I have done for the money and time really noticed the increase in power)
comp 400 cam ( really added power but was really alot of work too install)

Old 12-02-2005, 07:58 PM
Somethingdirty
Professional

Hmm, the thermal muffler should have given you at least 3hp.

Old 12-04-2005, 02:15 AM
Freerider
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: gaustang4me

OK so, I just bought a brand spanking new (12 miles) 05 Neon SXT, 5 speed. I took it out for the test drive. A couple things I don't care for, but the price was right ($15,000). Things I don't like that will be addressed ASAP: Too much body roll, so new springs and probably struts and shocks. The shifter has crazy long throws, and I hate that friggin' rubber shift boot and ****. So I am getting a shifter and I am trying to find out if a SRT4 shift boot would fit, and if so where do I get one?

Now for power stuff. I am a Mustang fanatic, and I work on them as a hobbie, been at it for years. I am not looking for 300 WHP, but is 200 to far off with bolt ons? I don't want to go the forced induction or NO2 route, I want to keep it N/A. Can I rework the factory intake, or is it not worth it? What will the CAI, reprogramming the PCM, full exhaust, TB, and a cam get me. Also, can someone point me in the direction as far as which brands and where to get them?

And please someone help me find a better shifter, shift boot and ****, please, the factory stuff sucks...[:@]

Later,
Gary
hey, yea, you can get new short throw shifter and shift boot and **** at quite a few places. To list the more popular

www.modernperformance.com
www.howellautomotive.com

Brands are up to you really. Do research and find what you can. I have a K&N CAI myself and getting a magna flow high flow exhaust in the near future.

anyways, sounds good, and with a little work a little neon can give a mustang quite a run. It doesnt take much to get a neon going. 2nd gens are a bit heavier than first gens... but they definately have an adventage of less weight to horse power than a lot of cars with small block engines like neons. You could also think about diving into a 2.4 turbo to knock off the little 2.0 liter if your looking for a good amount of horse power. It will offer you a bigger band of power to get up to but the block aint cheap. Good luck.

Old 01-16-2006, 04:17 AM
roksneonsxt

hey wassup i got an 04 sxt auto i wish it was stick but im gonna try to make the best of it

my mods are an aem short ram intake, pacesetter exhaust minus the dual muffler, vibrant strut tower bar i would have more mods rite now but i had an accident so needed some body work

now i want to eventually do the stage 2 from hahn but i wanna get some minor mods done first
i have a few questions if ne one could help: what are gains like with an underdrive pulley(where can i get a good one), upgraded TB from stock and ne one know how well the jet stage 2 chips work and wats a good header to get and where can a get a better exhaust sumthin like 2.5 inches instead of 2.25

thanks and ne tips on nething else would be cool

and before i forget ne one know about doing the internals and top end of the 03-05 gen neons

again thanks

Old 01-16-2006, 04:40 AM
Freerider
Record Breaker

if you go with a stage 2 turbo from hahn i would recommend thinking about rebuilding your engine and porting it, boring it etc. Would help your engine from exploding.

Aside from that i would recommend as well a new performance radiater upgrade your sensers along with new plugs, injecters, ignition coil etc. etc. I would also probably get an Indy Intake manifold to keep your engine ontop with the engine rebuild. Then after that you can think about a stage 2 turbo.

Your stock engine might not be able to take a full blown stage 2 turbo if your driving it hard. Plus you would need to invest in all the goodies before even installing it to make sure your engine didnt combust into the flames from hell or shoot the pistons through your hood driving down the street.[:-]

(yes i have seen an old school muscle car miss a gear while shifting and the pistons shot right through the hood so it can happen).

The new TB is always handy just make sure you know what bore you need on it. A stock to semi modified will run optimumly on 55, an engine with all the bolt ons and injection goodies will be able to run a 60. that should give you a feel on your tb. SRT-4's i have seen run 60-70mm with somewhat modified engines (i think SRT-4's come stock with 60mm TB's).

Headers are up to you. I hear good things about the borla header (mainly cuz you can install it and keep it street legal not to mention is a good performance header). Magna flow and Borla both make a full exhaust 2.25 kit for the neons.

I have been holding off on the piggy backs becuase i have no good insight in the matter. I remember someone saying it was probably not a good idea or something like that, but dont take my word for it until someone else comments on this.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 01-16-2006, 10:36 AM
Somethingdirty
Professional

"I have been holding off on the piggy backs becuase i have no good insight in the matter. I remember someone saying it was probably not a good idea or something like that, but dont take my word for it until someone else comments on this."

Huh??? I'm almost ready to take your original word for it, and buy the jet chip. I'm confused.

Old 01-20-2006, 01:52 AM
minidodge32

yeah, I can't understand why mopar and dodge have a mod sheet a mile long for the neons and then they put the crap computers in them. Why would they want to hold the performance down on the neon. It almost seems like they wanted to irritate us. I don't know anything about the piggybacks either. I just hate to spend 300 dollars on one and then it doesn't do jack. idk, other modding, besides a turbo, seems almost pointless with these dang computers.

Quick Reply: How do I make my 2nd Gen neon faster.