2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

MFS Clicking

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 12:25 PM
fillalph
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MFS Clicking

Last summer when the car was sitting in the hot sun I got in, turned it on and a really fast clicking sound started from the steering column/dash area. Shortly some smoke out from the steering column. I pulled out the key. Rolled down the windows and waited a bit. Turn it back on and it was ok.

Since then I have not had any more smoke come from the steering column. I do however occasionally have the fast clicking (like a relay perhaps) sound. I immediately turn off the car.

The last occurrences I have found that the clicking occurs:
  • I flashed my driving lights twice quickly at a car at night because they didn't have their driving lights on and got the fast clicking
  • When turning the car off I also switched the driving lights off and it clicked momentarily
I am able to use my turn signals and do drive with my parking lights although I am hesitant.

I have read other threads and the smoke from the steering column is related to the MFS. I looked at mine and it is melted a bit on the RHS

I have not read about anyone else though with the fast clicking sound.

I am thinking that I should:
  1. Replace the MFS
  2. Replace the MFS connector. Cut the connector and splice in this part: 5183442A
  3. Running the driving lights through a relay from the battery
  4. Never run my fog lights (which haven't worked in a long time anyway)
Has anyone else had the fast clicking noise? Any suggestions on to my approach for fixing it?

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails MFS Clicking-img_0410-20-28small-29.jpg  

Quick Reply: MFS Clicking