2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2004 dodge neon tranny problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 10:07 PM
avlz3214
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 dodge neon tranny problems

hello, new to this forum. so i have a 2004 dodge neon automatic. and the tranny gave out on me this past weekend i had to tow my car from sb to ox. wheni was stuck out in sb the tranny dipstick was blwing off white smoke. checked it and it had no fluid in it. i tried to drive it to a liquor store to buy some tranny fluid but the car wouldnt drive. i rev it hard wouldnt go pass 2500 rpms. i tried it in all gears 1st gear 3rd gear and Drive and it would not budge. put the car in neutral stepped outside and tried to push it and it also would not move. so i had the chp send in a tow truck. charged me 200 to get it home.i let my car sit over night. woke up in the morning started up the car. checked the tranny fluid. it was pinkish with bubbles in it. so friend recommend i do a flush and a filter change. just got done with that. fluid smelt really burnt. when i took off the pan their was a magnet in there with some gunk like a lot of it and metal shaving. i cleaned out the magnet took out all the fluid. put a new filter and a new seal closed it up. filled it up with 4 quarts of atf+4 let it warm up put it in drive and it would not move. i pressed the gas pedal all the way to the floor and the car jerked but didnt go far. put in reverse same thing. put in neutral tried pushing it and it moved a little then it locked. now i dont know what to do. should i have the tranny rebuilt any suggestions plz help.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:36 AM
richards83
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE= checked the tranny fluid. it was pinkish with bubbles in it.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like the trans cooler in the radiator may have cracked and leaked coolant into the transmission, which is not uncommon on Neons. If coolant stays in a transmission for a while it dissolves the glue that bonds the friction material to the clutch discs, which will cause it to not engage. You might be able to look in the coolant reservoir and see if there's any trans fluid floating on top of the coolant. You can also get the trans cooler in the radiator pressure tested to see if it's leaking. Unfortunately if that is what happened, the transmission will have to be rebuilt/replaced, the radiator replaced or bypassed and the cooling system flushed.

Last edited by richards83; 11-08-2013 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Misspelled
Old 11-08-2013, 02:56 PM
frankarnone70
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Omg sorry to hear that. Bit I think he's right. Water and trans fluid turns pink. Drain the diff and get all the fluid out. Flush the trans and take off shift solenoid and flush/replace. And try again with a new trans cooler. I do no just trying to help.

Next option junk yard tranny and a new trans cooler.

I installed a small trans cooler on both of my neon s because I've heard of this happening.

Sorry for your loss and good luck.

Quick Reply: 2004 dodge neon tranny problems