2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2002 Dodge Neon Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 09:31 PM
mbocian65
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Dodge Neon Transmission Issues

I have a 2002 Dodge Neon with about 80,000 miles. In May 2012 (about 60,000 miles), I did a transmission fluid and filter replacement. Replaced with a cheap filter and gasket from Advance Auto. All was well until January 2013. I noticed some trans fluid on my driveway. Appeared to be coming from trans pan. Again replaced trans fluid and filter, this time sealing with RTV trans gasket maker. Leak still persisted. Discovered the leak was coming from the trans shift solenoid. Replaced the shift solenoid and the trans fluid, but kept the same filter. Resealed with gasket maker, leak was gone. Did not go to dealer to get Quick Learn procedure done.

Seemed okay, but I did notice In Jan-March 2013 that on very cold mornings, the transmission would hesitate to engage when first starting the car and putting in into gear. Once the car was warmed up, everything was fine. Once the weather warmed up, there were no issues.

Fast forward to this winter. Again having the issue with the car not engaging when cold. Also now when it's cold, the trans give a minor "thud" when slowing down in about the 20 MPH range, regardless of whether the car is warmed up. I was afraid it was a clogged filter, replaced filter again. Still giving same issues.

Can this possibly still be from changing the shift solenoid and not having the quick learn procedure done? A year later, would the quick learn procedure still help?

Old 01-20-2014, 04:37 AM
73novass
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say no I as well changed my Transmission-Automatic : Control Solenoid and never got the learn procedure done if you, go to you tube it states that if you plug in the connector and it works you are good to go if not you need the learn procedure and I have a friend a AAmco that said it was true.

Quick Reply: 2002 Dodge Neon Transmission Issues