2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Oil bypass-filtration?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 04:35 AM
Mexii88
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Oil bypass-filtration?

Hey guys, I know it's been a while since my last post but I was doing some research and I got to thinking, has anyone ever considered something like this for our cars? I know some people would have a heck of a time finding a place to mount it but in theory, full synthetic oil could last exponentially longer than conventional. (I know it does but just hear me out) Here are a few Diagrams to help illustrate the process.

Attached Thumbnails Oil bypass-filtration?-image.jpeg   Oil bypass-filtration?-image.gif  

Last edited by Mexii88; 02-13-2016 at 04:47 AM.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:46 AM
Mexii88

There are a few questions/comments/concerns I have regarding this. With a bigger high efficiency filter, how bad would the oil pressure drop? There are products like "Earls Oil Bypass sandwich" which can come in two "sizes" if you will. The only difference between the two is the outlet diameter. (One is 3/8 and the other is 1/2) Would the oil stay a lot cooler with an increased capacity? I already use a bigger filter on my R/T if anyone would like to do some reading, here is a link that will give you the rundown.
http://http://www.machinerylubricati...***-filtration

Old 02-15-2016, 05:31 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not sure how you figure it will make your engine oil last exponentially longer as there would still be the main issue of the additives being expended before the filter was "too full."

Old 02-16-2016, 04:31 AM
Mexii88

Darth, you raise a valid point and the way i had it explained to me was that running oil for too little of a time period doesn't cover the internal parts with a protective film from the detergents and running oil for too long causes engine wear due to the build up of acids so I figure that if I can go about 10k miles without having to change the oil (if I switch to Synthetic) then overall it will eventually pay for itself. Alaska kinda sucks about price hahah but I mean what about extending the overall life of the engine? Dirt, sludge, and other contaminants lager than 5 microns are what cause the most extensive engine wear. So I could use the high efficiency filter for 2+ oil drain intervals before it gets too full. Right?

Quick Reply: Oil bypass-filtration?