2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Spark Plug Mini Tutorial

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 12:01 PM
paw paw
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Spark Plug Mini Tutorial

A mini spark plug tutorial if you have questions about the specified plug to use, or what the differences in plug design means.

On unmodified engines, I use the specified fine wire iridium enhanced center electrode with platinum pad ground side wire design plugs, in both my 99 Ranger & Wife's 2000 Neon waste spark ignition systems, as well as in my 94 Taurus 3.8L conventional distributor/single coil ignition system, as getting to the rear/firewall bank one plugs is a bit of a PIA on the Taurus 3.8L sidewinder engine, so at my age I don't care to do it any more often than necessary!!!! lol

The fine wire center electrode iridium enhanced/platinum plugs electrodes don't erode as fast in our engines, as iridium has a higher melting point than platinum, or the standard nickel alloy electrodes, so they last a lot longer with the coil pack waste spark ignition system, in which the passenger side bank 1 (firewall bank on sidewinder V engines), gets a reverse polarity spark, which emanates from the spark plugs ground lug/side wire, to the center electrode, so that side wire needs platinum to slow spark gap/electrode erosion.

Cylinder bank 2, driver’s side (radiator side on sidewinder engines) gets a normal polarity spark, which emanates from the spark plugs center electrode to the side wire/ground lug, so its center electrode needs a iridium enhanced, or at least platinum pad electrodes, to slow spark gap erosion over time.

The Neon waste spark ignition system also works its coil pack, spark plugs & wires Twice as hard as the single coil ignition system, as the waste spark system fires its plugs on Every rotation of the crank shaft.

On waste spark 4 cyl engines, the coil pack only has two coils to fire four plugs, so the plugs are paired together, such that when one plug is fired on its power stroke, its companion plug is being fired on its exhaust stroke (waste spark), then on the next crankshaft rotation the sequence reverses, the plug that had been fired on it's power stroke is fired again on it's exhaust stroke (waste spark) & the companion plug that had been fired on it's exhaust stroke, is now being fired on it's power stroke.

Also, in waste spark ignition systems, half the plugs get a normal polarity spark which emanates from the plugs center electrode to the ground side wire, while the other half get a Reverse polarity spark that emanates from the ground side wire to the plugs center electrode. These plugs need platinum pad enhanced side wires to slow electrode erosion.

The center electrode fine wire plugs require less voltage to fire, so that helps on cold winter starts, when battery voltage is at its lowest because it's cold, cranking a cold engine, running the fuel pump & the ignition system is having to work it's hardest with that lower input battery voltage, to try & make a good hot spark to get us going.

Double Platinum plugs (PP), of the specified heat range, can be used in Any cyl bank, on Any type ignition system & its electrodes will last Longer than a regular copper core, standard nickel electrode/non platinum, or single platinum enhanced plug.

The fine wire iridium enhanced center electrode plug, with platinum pad side wire, will last longer than the double platinum plug, as iridium has a much higher melting point than platinum, so it's fine wire iridium enhanced center electrode, erodes at a slower rate, while providing an easier to fire & more concentrated, hotter/higher temp spark kernel, to get us going.
I have notably faster year round starts in all three of my unmodified/stock engines, with these plugs.

As has been said, we can use any plug design, as long as it's the correct heat range, in an unmodified engine & it'll work in any engine, it’s just that the double platinum, or iridium enhanced plugs electrodes will last a Lot longer & their spark gap will stay in spec longer, because they can tolerate higher temperatures, with much slower electrode erosion over time, so spark gap stays in spec much longer.

As spark gap is always opening up over time, I preset my plugs to the Min specified spark gap & I use a Wire gauge to check the gap & Don't pull it through too tight a gap, so as not to damage the platinum pads, or fine wire center electrode.

A wider than spec spark gap puts additional stress on the ignition components, as they have to generate & tolerate a higher voltage to jump that wider spark gap.
Having to jump that wider gap, the heat in the spark kernel is lower & that doesn't help on cold starts, or in high compression engines.
Having a wider than specified spark gap also has the effect of slightly retarding spark timing, as it takes the coil pack a little longer time to build enough voltage to jump the gap, then the spark kernel heat is lowered because it's spread over a larger gap, all a vicious circle. Keep those plugs gapped to spec.

Edit: Multi ground electrode plugs aren't recommended, as the extra electrodes shadow & cool the spark kernel, so can cause an uneven flame front propagation & thus a not so good/even, or complete combustion event.

SO, imo to get easier/faster starts, which makes it easier on the starter motor, battery & ignition system & not having to replace sidewinder engines rear bank plugs as often, it's well worth investing in the slight cost difference/increase in purchasing & installing fine wire iridium enhanced spark plugs.

On the wife’s Neon, I caught the Autolite fine wire iridium enhanced/platinum ground side wire plugs at 1/2 off at Advance Auto + Autolite had a $2 ea. rebate back in 2011, so mine at 1/2 off + rebate, were about $2.25 ea., a danged steal!!!!
As I mentioned above, the Neon also has noticeably quicker year round starts with the Fine Wire iridium enhanced plugs.

Some spark plug thoughts for pondering.

Last edited by paw paw; 09-24-2017 at 01:35 PM.