2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Rusty muffler clamp bolt removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 09:13 PM
Crackle_Smackle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rusty muffler clamp bolt removal

Picked up a Thrush Turbo muffler and an adapter today because my stock exhaust was... not on the good side, it was pretty crusty. Anyhow, got up under the car and grabbed a 15mm deep socket and tried getting the one single bolt holding the muffler on. It wouldn't budge. At all. I soaked it in so much WD-40 and yet the thing still didn't wanna move a single bit.

Any idea on how to get it out of there? I may have a breaker bar laying around somewhere, but was wondering if there's any tricks y'all may know to get super rusty bolts to break loose before I dig through tons of stuff to find it.

Also has anyone ever used the Thrush Turbo as a muffler? Sound clips are hard to come by for the Neon but there were a few for this muffler and they didn't sound so bad, considering it's $30.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:36 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Cut it off with a sawzall or angle grinder.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:37 PM
Crackle_Smackle

Yea, was tempted to. Don't have one myself but I bet a shop would do it for real cheap or something.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:48 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Got a hack saw and some elbow grease? It's one rusted bolt. Lol

Old 04-07-2017, 09:44 AM
paw paw
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

A heat gun to warm things up a little & a 50/50 mix by volume, of tranny fluid & acetone make a good home made rust buster.
Be careful it's a flammable mixture, not too much heat, just enough to warm the item up so the mixture wets the surface good & wait a few minutes for it to penetrate, then give it a twist, or rap to shock the fastener & see if it moves. Don't get crazy with torque or shock loading, let the three (mix, shock/torque, time) work together to loosen things up & let us know how it goes.

Last edited by paw paw; 04-07-2017 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:55 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

WD-40 isn't a penetrating spray, contrary to popular belief. You need to soak it with something like PB Blaster or AeroKroil if that's the route you want to take.

Old 04-08-2017, 01:01 AM
Crackle_Smackle

Really oughta get me some PB Blaster soon, it'd help with stuff like this. Actually got the bolt off today by holding a lighter up to the bolt and wiggling it back and forth for a good while after finding an extension for my socket wrench to give more leverage. Now just gotta get that awful clamp off tomorrow when I wake up... More fun! It's rusty as hell just as well.