2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

power steering pulley

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 03:12 PM
pmike69
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering pulley

Hello,

I have a 2004 Neon SXT that is having a whirring noise that is constant from the power steering pulley. I have the car hood open and can make the noise going away with a squirt of WD40 to the center hub of that pulley. It returns after a while.

I am pretty sure it is not belt or tensioner. This car was idle for some months and this may have some corrosion there.

My question is the pulley does not appear to have any bearings in it so will replacing only that even help? Or is it more likely to change the whole pump?

Thanks.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:20 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are sure it's from the P/S pump and isn't the belt or tensioner, it might be the shaft the pulley is pressed onto because like you say, there is no bearing there. Is the pulley itself damaged from what you can see?

Old 09-06-2017, 07:32 AM
pmike69
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The pulley was not physically damaged other than the possible look of a little corrosion around the hole. We replaced it last night and after a few seconds of initial squeaking it was much better. I shot of WD and was quiet. I will see if this lasts as it has come and go before. If it persists later on we will have to see if this is the pump or maybe something else also had a small squeak.

By the way the easier way to change it that we used was the lifting the motor and swap the pulley with the pump still on the car method.