2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

A/C Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 11:32 AM
rezsrt4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A/C Issue

I've been trying to find the issue in our 2004 dodge neon about the ac. Its not working when panel switch is turned on, I have checked all wires, nothing wrong, and compressor works, only when wires are bypassed. I've even switched the control panel too. The blower works fine. All fuses are good including relays. Refrigerant seems to be normal. I'm still checking the low and high ac switches at this time. Has anyone had the same problems as I have?

Old 09-17-2017, 06:52 PM
paw paw
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

If refrigerant charge is low, the low pressure switch will prevent the compressor from turning on. Hook up your gauge set to the low & high pressure ports & measure the state of charge on the system. If it's low you have a leak in the system. To get it running, add some refrigerant Gas until the pressure builds enough to let the low pressure switch turn the compressor on, when the controls are set to call for cooling.

DON'T tip the can such that it lets liquid run in to hurry things along. Just set the can upright & let it Slowly raise the Gas pressure enough for it to naturally cycle the compressor on.

Then look for leaks with a sniffer, or look for damp spots where the refrigerant oil has leaked out, usually around the compressor seals, or a line "O" ring connection. If you don't have, or can't come by a sniffer, you could buy a can of R-12 with a dye already in the can, that'll glow a bright yellow/green at the leak point when you use a UV light source passed around the system suspect leak points. You can get dye/uv light kits at Walmart, or most auto parts stores.
If you find a leak, Don't add a stop leak product, fix, or replace the faulty component, or take it to a pro & let them have at fixing it.

Some thoughts for consideration, let us know how the trouble shoot goes.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:37 AM
rezsrt4

Sorry man, this one got no leak, and if I jump the relay terminals at the clutch relay, it blows cold air. the only one I haven't checked is the high pressure switch. So for now, I hooked up a switch for the ac to turn on, seems to be working good. Hope to find the actual problem, maybe wire related.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:52 AM
paw paw
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

OK, have you hooked up your manifold gauge set to monitor system high & low side pressure when you have the relay jumped & it's running, so you know all system pressures are ok & it's likely an electrical problem? Just feeling cold air doesn't mean all is ok with system pressure.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:09 AM
rezsrt4

I know the low pressure switch is good, but the high pressure is the one I haven't tested yet. I really need to check static pressure too.