2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2003 Neon SXT drive axle play, clunking

Old 02-24-2018, 09:35 AM
Sage18
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2003 Neon SXT drive axle play, clunking

My neon has been clunking for a while, I replaced both LCA’s, front and rear struts with Monroe quick struts, sway bar links and bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, brakes, rotors and motor mounts. The clunk only is heard over numbs in the road not small ones but larger bumps like the gutter at the end of my driveway. Also on a dirt road you hear it quite a bit. I was under it today and grabbed the passenger side axle and heard the clunk. When I move it up and down close to the transmission it clunks against the transmission case I believe. It appears there is some play in the axle where it enters the transmission. It’s not much but enough to make the clunk I’ve been hearing for a while. No leaks. Drivers side is tight. Could the little clip inside have broke? The axle looks great other than that, no noise, boots good, no grinding noise. I know the play is not right. Is there a bushing/seal that guides the shaft into the transmission that could be worn? I think this is my clunking noise and it seems easy to replace but before I take it out I need some thoughts and ideas about it. Please help!

Last edited by Sage18; 02-24-2018 at 10:49 AM. Reason: More details

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2003 Neon SXT drive axle play, clunking