2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Transmission Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 06:58 PM
Austyn Carey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Issue

Just picked up a 2001 Neon SE. Seemed fine, has 150,000 miles. So I drive it home fine. Took battery out to move other vehicle out of way. Put battery back in and now if I put it in any gear it will not move at all. Trouble codes are P1684 p0743 p1193. Anybody has any help it is greatly appreciated. Tranny fluid is full. Plugs seem connected.

Old 06-15-2018, 05:41 PM
paw paw
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Welcome to the 2nd Gen Neon forum.

Dang, I see you posted 2 months ago & no replies, so likely have an answer by now?

If not, I'll see if I can get things started, even as late as it is.

Good idea to have scanned for trouble code clues & posted the Numbers.
Was the CEL lit Before you disconnected the battery & scanned & found the codes, or did it light up After the battery was put back in?.
Did you happen to have disconnected the battery with the ignition key On?

P0743 = Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Electrical. Have a read here on this, as it could be feeding into your problem. https://www.obd-codes.com/p0743
My 2000 Neon 31TH tranny TCC solenoid shorted out suddenly while the Wife was driving it, so they can fail suddenly. In my case it blew it's fuse & the computer was also on this fuse, so the danged vehicle wouldn't start, or run!!!!
If you have to trouble shoot this circuit, go here for Wiring pictorials & TSB's http://www.bbbind.com/free-tsb/

P1193 = Inlet Air Temp Circuit High. Has the Cold Air Inlet air filter box, or inlet air tubing been modified by the previous owner? Faulty inlet air temp sensor readings can corrupt fuel trim & cause drive-ability problems but not affect the tranny going into gear.

P1684 = Battery disconnect within last 50 starts.

Some beginning thoughts for consideration, let us know what you've found & how its going.

Quick Reply: Transmission Issue