2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Whats oem auto. trans. gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 07:40 PM
mike L
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats oem auto. trans. gasket?

What's was the oem orginal automatic transaxle gasket materal? Will a cork gasket last?

Old 09-08-2018, 09:14 AM
paw paw
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I see you don't have any replies yet, so I'll see if I can get things started.

My 2000 factory tranny pan gasket material was RTV, a danged mess to clean up when the pan was dropped to clean it, the magnet & change the filter while performing a Full tranny fluid pump out procedure. SO, I decided to opt for a re-useable Felpro Felprene tranny pan gasket. It's about 9 years old now & will be replaced on the next tranny service.

The only negative about it was I had to retorque the pan fasteners about 4 months after installing, as the gasket slowly took a set that caused the pan bolts to loose some of their "squeeze", so I could see a few places where the gasket was a little damp with fluid. Bear in mind this was 9 years ago, so maybe they've changed the gasket material recipe some to improve that short coming. I'll likely opt for another Felpro when the time comes for replacement. The weep would stop after the second pan fastener re-torque & would remain dry until the next fluid & filter pan drop service.
Had to drop the pan to remove the valve body to replace the torque converter solenoid about two years ago & the pan gasket was still reusable, so I did. It's still sealing well, no weeps BUT the outer edges around the bolt holes, where the gasket is squeezed out between the pan & block, are beginning to show vertical splits along the gasket edge, still dry, not weeping fluid but its time for replacement on the next repair, or service.
Some thoughts for consideration, let us know what you decide to use & how it goes.

Quick Reply: Whats oem auto. trans. gasket?