2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Cranking No Start

Old 09-27-2018, 11:33 PM
Altavair
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cranking No Start

Hey all,

So I might be able to dig through all these threads to find what I'm looking for, but I'm dealing with something pretty specific.

So I did a head gasket job on an '02 2nd gen. I drove the car to where I did the work. Put it all back together, and then the car only cranks but will not start. It sounds like it wants to, but I'm pretty sure the automatic shut off relay is killing the fuel. Now I have the service manual, I know that the crank, cam and knock sensor are involved. I tested the relay and that's good. What I'm looking for is there any that knows a way to test these components for resistance so I don't have to replace all of them? After I initially realized there was something wrong, my harness looked a little fried near the exhaust manifold so I replaced it with a used one off of a running '01 and I still have the same issue.

I don't have a scanner, but if anyone has any recommendations on one that's not $1k plus where I can install a program and hook it up with my USB OBDII, I'd be all for it just so I can see the sensor voltages.

Any an all help appreciated. If I didn't provide enough info, please feel free to ask for clarification. I do have spark(shocked myself the other day LoL) and fuel, and the appropriate equipment to test and fuel pressure is within acceptable ranges.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:56 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 333 Likes on 297 Posts

You can buy a code reader for @$20 these days. WalMart, Amazon, etc.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:04 PM
Altavair
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
You can buy a code reader for @$20 these days. WalMart, Amazon, etc.
forgive me, I have a Matco engine code scanner. There are no PIDs. I’m looking for something that would show me the sensor voltage so I can see if it’s showing a fault voltage or not in order replace just the failed components. I’ve seen things online that are win/Mac capable and then I have a universal USB to OBDII. I’m looking for a piece of software or and inexpensive component voltage monitoring system. I have one for my Subaru, and for my Audi, but it sure if Chrysler has anything like that that’s compatible. I’ll have to keep doing my own research, but if any gurus out there want to give me their input, it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-29-2018, 12:23 PM
paw paw
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

You might consider the inexpensive ELM scan tool that plugs into the in cabin DLC & running a diagnostic software of your choice on the viewing device of your choice/laptop/ipad/smart phone. My ELM wasn't the least expensive, but it was guaranteed to work on all of the family fleet & that's important, as some vendors can't be contacted after the sale, or don't have the knowledge to correctly answer, or back up unexpected product problems.

For instance Amazon Vendor BAFX here
https://www.amazon.com/Diagnostic-Test-Tools/b/ref=amb_link_68?ie=UTF8&node=15707351&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-leftnav&pf_rd_r=1WTD98ZV4HYPDC4Z7E6G&pf_rd_r=1WTD98ZV4HYPDC4Z7E6G&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=6297b8c7-0eba-49fa-862f-310f3b78c71d&pf_rd_p=6297b8c7-0eba-49fa-862f-310f3b78c71d&pf_rd_i=15684181 https://www.amazon.com/Diagnostic-Test-Tools/b/ref=amb_link_68?ie=UTF8&node=15707351&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-leftnav&pf_rd_r=1WTD98ZV4HYPDC4Z7E6G&pf_rd_r=1WTD98ZV4HYPDC4Z7E6G&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=6297b8c7-0eba-49fa-862f-310f3b78c71d&pf_rd_p=6297b8c7-0eba-49fa-862f-310f3b78c71d&pf_rd_i=15684181
, is said by folks on the TCCA forum to sell reliable ELM's, be helpful before & responsive After the sale if your having problems & will warranty any ELM that doesn't work. A couple of guys on the FTE Ranger forum have said they stepped up to the plate for them on application questions & helpful ELM operation info before purchase.

I'm using a WiFi model ELM without problems since 2013 & running freeware FORScan diagnostic software on my spare laptop to diagnose my Fords & it's been a Very helpful & inexpensive item for my electronic tool box. It saved me a Bundle on my first use, successfully troubleshooting my99 Ranger sudden ABS woes.

The ELM/FORScan combo will scan for trouble code clues & for instance can put up live PID sensor data in several display forms, like numerical only, table/labeled PID form with the numbers changing as the engine runs, or in oscilloscope/line drawing form, depending on our diagnostic trouble shooting needs & depending on how the vehicle is equipped & how sophisticated the chosen diagnostic software is.

There are umbilical corded/wired UHB connector type & Wireless WiFi & Bluetooth model ELM's. The corded models limit movement because of UHB cord length. Wireless WiFi models are said to broadcast/receive over greater distances & be able to handle larger data streams over those distances without dropout, If their signal strength is strong. The chosen ELM plugs into the in cabin DLC/Diagnostic Link Connector & query's the various vehicle computer/controllers for the info the diagnostic software is designed to read & we choose to have it put up on the soft ware dashboard for monitoring. The wireless Bluetooth models as I understand it are for shorter range use & may need different type software to interface with our viewing device choice, so check out the chosen ELM & diagnostic software abilities, so you get a good match. Some software won't access CAN data, so if you have other vehicles with the more up to date OBD-2/CAN diagnostic systems, make sure the ELM & chosen diagnostic software can access & display this type data stream.

There are a number of diagnostic programs on the net, some low, moderate, high cost, depending on what you need to do. I chose FORScan as it's tweaked for my Fords & its been fantastic in troubleshooting everything from the ECM, ABS, to the GEM/body controller in successfully trouble shooting my intermittent passenger side power window woes & finding the Root cause & fixing my sudden ABS problem that popped up just before State Inspection a few years ago.

The ELM & a good diagnostic software is a must for we self wrench turners electronic tool box!!!

Some scan tool thoughts for consideration, let us know what you decide & how it goes.

EDIT: BTW, Welcome to the 2nd Gen Neon forum.

Last edited by paw paw; 09-29-2018 at 02:05 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cranking No Start