2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Engine mount bracket problems.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 02:37 AM
colton_levi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine mount bracket problems.

I'm trying to replace my timing belt on my 2000 SOHC Neon. I've done all the steps up to "Remove right engine mount and engine mount bracket" I managed to remove the through bolt and 4 bolts holding the mount to the frame rail but now I'm stuck. I can't figure out how to take off the engine mount bracket that's in front of the timing belt cover. I see the 3 bolts that hold it onto the block (at least I think I see the right bolts) but the bracket is so close to the frame rail it's impossible to get a socket on the bolt. The engine weight is currently sitting on a jack and I've moved the engine up and down, trying to get a better angle but I can't. Am I just being dumb? I've searched the other threads and I can't find anyone with the same problem. Please help!

Old 12-17-2005, 06:18 PM
casper
Legend
Default RE: Engine mount bracket problems.

If I rememer right you don't have to take it all the way off, just loosen it and jack the motor enough to slip the timing belt by.

Old 12-17-2005, 07:16 PM
colton_levi

I can't even get to the timing belt though, that's the problem. The piece in front of the timing belt cover (I don't know the nomenclature of the piece) It's a metal piece that's almost as big as the timing belt cover. The power stearing pump bolts on to this piece and the power stearing belt tensioner is also mounted to this piece. Anyway there is 3 bolts that bolt it to the block. I've loosened all three bolts but I can't remove them, there's just not enough room. When I try to pull the bolts out they hit the frame rail. That's when I decided to remove the enigine mount to give myself some more room but I have the same problem. There's not enough clearance to take the mount out, it hit's the metal piece in front of the timing belt cover. This is so frustrating! I shouldn't have to pull the whole motor just to replace a timing belt.

Old 12-17-2005, 08:52 PM
colton_levi

Here are some pictures illustrating my problem. Either I’m a total moron or this is a serious engineering flaw. Since I’m sure some of you have replaced your timing belt without removing the whole engine then I’m probably just being a moron. Any help would be great.

Old 12-17-2005, 11:45 PM
casper
Legend

Loosen the front mount and jack the motor up some more

Old 12-17-2005, 11:56 PM
colton_levi

This is a 2nd gen car, it doesn't have a front mount. It has the right and left motor mounts and the upper and lower torque struts. The right engine mount (timing belt side) is disconnected from the engine and both the upper and lower torque struts are removed. The only thing holding the engine in is the left engine mount and a jack under the oil pan. To clear the frame rail I would have to raise the engine about 4 inches. I'm kind of hesitant to do that because I don't want to put too much stress on the still connected left engine mount.

Old 12-18-2005, 01:17 AM
casper
Legend

Your not going to break it the worst thing that can happen is that it stops moving up, pay attention and if it starts to lift the car stop.

Old 12-18-2005, 05:34 PM
colton_levi

Ok I guess I'll try to raise the enigine today. I just don't want to F up the half shafts or any of the wiring harnesses.

Old 12-18-2005, 07:27 PM
colton_levi

I was able to raise the engine enough to remove the bolt but I still cannot remove the bracket. There is just not enough room. I can't remove the engine mount because it hits the bracket. I can't remove the bracket because it hits the engine mount and frame rail. This is basically an impossible operation and I don't understand how anyone else on this forum has replaced their 2nd gen timing belt without pulling the entire engine. I think my repair manual (Hayes) is incorrect. All it says about the mount is "Remove mount and separate from frame rail and remove engine mount bracket. If you own a 1st gen Neon then this procedure is pretty simple but on a 2nd gen it's impossible. Have any of you 2nd gen owners replaced your own timing belt? If so how did you access the timing belt cover? I'm at a total loss and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-19-2005, 03:11 AM
colton_levi

Alright I'm done whining. After seeing this guy's website neon timing belt I got the courage to just jack the engine way up so that the entire bracket clears the frame rail. To finally get the bracket off I had to jack the right side of the engine up about 7 inches. Now the new water pump and timing belt are installed. Tomorrow I'll reinstall everything else and hopefully take it out for a successful test drive. I just hope nothing is messed up from jacking the engine up to such an extreme angle.

Quick Reply: Engine mount bracket problems.