2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Camshaft position sensor relearn after replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2023, 03:23 PM
glezbaum
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Camshaft position sensor relearn after replacement

Hello,
I looked to see if there were any threads on this, and couldn't find one.
I recently replaced the Camshaft position sensor on my daughter's 2005 Neon SXT.
I did this because it started running very badly and it had a very hard start.
The vehicle had P0340, and another code I don't remember but related to the cat.
After this and now a month latter, the car runs perfectly, but every week or so, gets a P0304 code.
I've changed the spark plugs, the coil, cleaned the injectors, and are now thinking of replacing the IAC valve, the TPS sensor and cleaning the throttle body. This because the vehicle has very low RPMs at idle, and I think this may be causing the misfires.
I also performed the tailpipe paper test, and no sucking. I tried to do a compression test, but broke the coil connector tab trying to get it off. I'll do this after getting a replacement at a junk yard.
My question is. Should a relearn be done for this vehicle after replacing the Camshaft Position Sensor?
A friend of mine let me borrow a Thinkscan Plus S7 scanner and it says that the Cam Crank difference is 6.2. I read somewhere that this should be around 6.
Thank you in advance for any help rendered.

Last edited by glezbaum; 05-24-2023 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-24-2023, 04:57 PM
Nilo420
Rookie
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is no relearn for the camshaft position sensor. Check the wiring near the camshaft position sensor and the crank sensor they are related and share a common ground. The ground is a small box on the back of the head. Check that as well.

The following users liked this post:
paw paw (06-14-2023)
Old 05-27-2023, 04:53 PM
glezbaum
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for your answer Nilo420. I pushed the camshaft sensor wiring to make sure the connection is secure. Then I tested the ground on the capacitor in back of the head. It looks like it wasn't grounded properly. I tested with my multimeter. I touched the red lead to the positive side of the battery, and the black to the connector coming out of the capacitor. I got about 2v, and then nothing. I un-scwrewed the capacitor, cleaned and sanded the connector and the flat part on the back where it touches the head. I put everything back together, and retested the voltage. Now I get 12.6v with the vehicle off. My daughter said no codes as of now.
I didn't have time to check the crankshaft connector because my daughter had to go to work.
I'll keep you posted.

The following users liked this post:
paw paw (06-14-2023)

Quick Reply: Camshaft position sensor relearn after replacement