2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Any tips for replacing the CKP sensor in '05 2.0?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2024, 03:22 PM
Dirtywerk
Amateur
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Any tips for replacing the CKP sensor in '05 2.0?

My son gave me '05 SXT with 120K in 2020 when all 3 motor mounts were shot and needed the TB kit installed. Car ran fine but got a code for the IAT. Replaced that then began to experience stumbling when accelerating uphill. That threw a code for the CPS so I replaced that. Got the TB kit, 3 MMs and trans mount installed so ran great again until the CPS code was thrown when the engine would occasionally stumble again going up grades.and limit the RPM s to 2200 until going downhill a ways cleared that up. The CEL lamp would stay off after sitting overnight.. Then that became a constant problem so I changed the target magnet on the cam. Now the engine ran great again at all speeds for two weeks until yesterday. Was driving along at 45 when I turned on the AC. A quarter mile later the engine began to buck hard for 150 yards then went back to normal. Drove 1 mile to a drugstore and parked. Engine fired right up as usual and ran normal for 3/4 mile before the bucking returned. I put in neutral and coasted when the engine died. It threw code P 0016 after the first rough running.. Had the car towed to a Walmart parking lot where I can replace the CKP since AZ is across the road. Are there any tricks to get that out in one piece and how hard is it to access?

Old 06-21-2024, 06:25 PM
Dirtywerk
Amateur
Default Got 'er done yet still won't run.

I hired a mobile mechanic to replace the CKS since he owns scan tools to check everything out. He said it was a little awkward doing that without removing the brace and starter. Came out in one piece and reasonably clean. Car still won't fire up even though is has gas to the rail and spark to the plugs. He couldn't find anything with his scanners other than the bad reading for the CKS. He suspects .y new belt jumped time. Told him that should've thrown a code for that since it ran poorly twice long enough to set it. I'm going to remove the CPS and cam magnet for inspection later on. The new magnet was installed 16 days ago which cleared up the CPS code . That sensor was installed 2 years ago and only has around 6,000 miles of use.

Old 06-25-2024, 12:35 PM
Dirtywerk
Amateur
Default Thought I found the problem. Correcting it didn't help.

Think I might have screwed up by replacing the CKS. My previous thrown 2 codes were for the CPS. One code disappeared after replacing the CPS (SMP brand) a few years ago. The second code started last year. Replacing the cam target magnet made that one go away. Believe I created the latest woes by not torquing down the CPS bolts to spec. The SMP instructions said to torque the magnet bolt to 30 in. lbs. and the CPS bolts to 60 in. lbs. The CPS had some oil over it when removed due to seepage past the o-ring due to ring residue I failed to remove when installing it earlier. I cleaned it off to see if hadn't cracked in the back. The connector and spades on the CPS were free of oil. Car ran like a scalded dog for 2 weeks after replacing the magnet so naturally figured the CKS went bad due to age. The CPS looked oiled as usual but in hindsight I should've taken it out first for inspection since it was the last item I had worked on. This time the connector was wet with oil along the contacts and the back of the sensor now had a long crack the length of the cam opening's diameter. The translucent resin above the harness connector was now blackened around it's perimeter as if it had overheated. Had to wait 3 days before I could install a replacement. Went to AZ for one where they had to order what I wanted. What arrived the next day was the wrong part in the right box. The store reordered with the right part in the right box arriving 2 days later. Got the mating surface pristine using electric contact cleaner and a fine SS wire brush. I tapped on the cam to see if it moved back any by using the torx bit inserted inside the bolt. It did by a tiny bit. Hosed out the connector real good then let dry. Still won't fire over when cranked. Been running the 10 flash diagnostics several times to see if the ECC would throw a code. Figured it would if anything major was still bad.

My main problem is being stuck living in my Neon while waiting to be notified about getting an apartment at an income assisted senior housing complex. Been staying at a Walmart parking lot for the past 16 months. I visited with a cop that worked for the city's community outreach program before start this adventure. That seemed to help since the police don't bother me. The store leaves me alone. I chatted with a few assistant managers then asked if they were working there when my neighbor was store manager when it first opened. She used to work for their regional management team as a trouble shooter and performance evaluator to determine promotions or dismissals. She must be back at that job since they've been running off others during my time here. Hope to get this car straightened out on my own to avoid using local shops that have great reviews for changing parts and lousy ones for diagnostics.

Quick Reply: Any tips for replacing the CKP sensor in '05 2.0?