2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

piston slap VIDEO ADDED

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 01:52 AM
01 r/t
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: piston slap VIDEO ADDED

hey can u fix the link cause my car makes a constint clicking sound as well, i just want to see if it sounds similar and the link is dead for some reason so please see if u can fix it.

Old 02-14-2006, 02:14 AM
01 r/t

wow... that sounds more like ur internals grinding to metal shreads inless ur just moving the mic around to much because i deffintly here grinding and thats not good very unusal sound id have to say.

Old 02-14-2006, 05:06 AM
01 r/t

i get a rotating click coming from the pully side of the motor i believe near the lower end either at the driveshaft pully or im thinking mabey the tencher pully baring is creating this rotating click. Im not sure but after filling the motor with 4 quarts of castrol gtx 10w-30 and letting my car sit a few days i noticed the sound was much quieter and it seemd the gearbox was much smoother aswell. In any case i cant figure out what the sound is exactly but i can tell u it is a rotating click that increases with rpm and is not all that loud but still barley noticable while sitting in the car.

i have 98,000 miles on this car and have done 3 oil changes on it since last novemeber when i perchased the car for 4,000 dollars and it had 92,000 miles on it then.

Old 02-19-2006, 01:05 AM
jimmyk

That kinda sounds like an accesory, power steering pump with no fluid or a bearing. Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-19-2006, 12:50 PM
blank

yea well i added some collant cause it was low and now it doesbt do it that much any more just everynow and then i was also told i could be my cat or the heat sheild and yes i was moving the camera around i went from roughly 5ft away to right oer the hood

Old 02-19-2006, 03:41 PM
1994shadowman
Captain

My dodge shadow slaps light f#cking crazing when it is in cold weather like this. How does 5 degrees sound. [:@] It doesnt do it in the summer time when it is warm. Once the car is at opperating temperature the sound goes away. I have also heard that this is common on the 2.2 and 2.5 motors. I dont worry about the sound. It is funny because all my friends freak out when they hear it.

Old 02-21-2006, 03:00 AM
pimpberetta
Veteran

Well to me, thats sounds much like my car which has been said to be the release bearing. It has come loose from the clutch fork and squeals/rattles for whatever reason.

Sean

Old 02-22-2006, 09:47 PM
blank

it is a throw out bearing and since it only when cold it is fine that is what the dealership says to me oh well they will fix if it messes up down the road

Old 04-05-2006, 06:01 PM
joe007

I took my 2005 Neon SXT in 3 days ago and finally got it back yesterday. My noise sounds like a lifter is sticking. The Dodge dealership apparently heard the noise too and decided it was the water pump. So, now I've a new water pump and the noise is more noticeable and occurs more often then ever. ha Taking it back to them today.

Side note: When I called them today they said, "Well, the mechanic said it was intermittent and you can barely hear it." I told him, "Then he must be deaf because I live in an apartment complex by the highway. I just now pulled up to my apartment, heard the noise, opened my hood and a complete stranger was walking by and said, Man, I think I'd get that looked at...it doesn't sound good." He could hear the knocking too.

I'll post what happens next on this sad adventure.

My first lemon....

Old 04-05-2006, 06:50 PM
Nappers
Professional

my new '05 does not have piston slap at all. My '00 GMC Yukon with 5.3 had piston slap so much it was very irratating. I ran some seafoam through it (to knock out carbon) and run Mobil 1 5/30 synthetic. It is so quiet, I can't hear it running while it's in the driveway.

When mine breaks in, I'm going to use Mobil 1 5/20 and I will let you know.

I have heard these have piston slap, mine just hasn't done it yet. Less than 1,000 on it. Changing oil after at 1,000 mile mark then again at the 3,000 mark, then run synthetic.

GM products have had a hard time with this, fortunately my Yukon sounds fine. When the syn gets close to the 5,000 mark, mine will have slap for just a few seconds as the oil gets through the engine. After a change, it purrs like a kitten. On dino, it slapped like a 6.2 chevy diesel. LOL.

http://www.pistonslap.com/whatisit.htm

check that link out it explains what piston slap is.

I listened to the video, sounds like a bearing problem in the alternator. Take it in.

For those who bought a new car, break it in according to the manual. We all want to see what "she can do" but don't do it until after the break in period. I have owned 3 brand new cars in my life and I broke all of the motors in according to the manual and they have always had more power than others, I even had mechanics state how well they run when working on them after a test drive. I had a '97 Kia Sephia, I took very good care of that car and broke the motor in nice and slow and one mechanic asked if I did any mods to it, I said no, just oil and filters every 2,500 miles after dumping the oil at 1,000 then again at 3,000. He said you probably wrangled some more HP out of it doing that. Always do the Maint to how you drive. I change my oil (when using dino) at the 3,000 mile mark. Use good quality filters and oil. Remember, there is more to the maint besides the engine oil, there are the air filters, fuel filters, pcv valves, tranny fluids (auto and manual) that need attention as well as your door hinges and other mechanic stuff thats needs a spray of white grease or two once in a while. I am skeptical at using additives to my oil like Lucas, read in bob is the oil guy and see why.

Hope you get it running smooth.

L8R

Aaron

Check out bobistheoilguy.com on filters, grease and oil. Good stuff.

Quick Reply: piston slap VIDEO ADDED