2 3/8" to 3/8" brass fittings (plumbing section)....~1.50 each
4 feet of 3/8" rubber fuel line (autozone)....~$4 total

[IMG]local://upfiles/29306/6CD8FFD285884CC0B568B4D65FD6A139.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-27-2006, 01:54 AM
Customlimitz863
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DO-IT-YOURSELF catch can:

can u guys tell me if this really work good? does it steal pressure + equaling to lost performance... n e input help like always. thanx...

Old 03-01-2006, 03:03 AM
pimpberetta
Veteran

Whats the purpose of this do-hickey?

Old 03-01-2006, 04:56 AM
lblackneon
Champion

A catch can is only useful with a turbo.

Old 05-04-2006, 05:40 AM
veryodd

What does it do?

Old 05-04-2006, 04:05 PM
casper
Legend

catches the oil from the pvc vavle

Old 05-06-2006, 06:59 PM
kayakman
Veteran

Go to Allpar.com

Forums/Tech Help

Neons

Search - Who's Got Oil In Their Intake

Old 05-06-2006, 10:10 PM
flamingpinhead
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

^how about a direct like... since im not registered and too lazy to do so (im sure others are too)

Old 05-06-2006, 11:34 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

First of all...

WOW... ALLPAR'S NEON FORUM IS SLOOOOWWW!

Any slower and it would be dead...

anyway... lol

http://www.allpar.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=75161

There's the link and for people too lazy to sign up...

ORIGINAL: KayakMan

Who has the pooling oil in the intake manifold??

Well I do and have tried everything from catch cans the oil separators.
The problem with these two devices, they don't work in cold climates. Cold air and high humidity and a warm engine causes condensation which is drawn out of the engine along with oil vapour. If you use an oil separator or catch can device the moisture and oil mix into a coffee and cream mixture and freezes and then the fresh air tube from your intake box becomes a vent.

After driving for 20miles/32 kilometers and stopping your engine the little foam filter in your air box will freeze and when you start your engine in cold conditions, your motor builds up pressure and bleeds oil by the quart/liter. This has happen to me.

So, what to do??? First I took all the hoses off the PVC system. Plug the inlet on the intake manifold from the PVC valve. Bought 3/8 hose, a inline PVC valve (straight with hose to hose connections) one 3/8 male x 3/8 barb fitting, and a small filter that would have come out of old carb or throttle body air cleaner tin can breather for a crank case or PVC system, you know the ones with the big donut air filter, ti had the small one on the side of the breather body. I hope this makes since?

You will need the 90 elebows from the PVC system. Where the fresh air came into your valve cover, use that elebow the straight pvc valve and the small air filter(point it vectical). Remove PVC valve on the side of the valve cover and install the barb fitting (your option - or leave the valve there) and run a new hose from the fitting to the connection on the air box where the engine use to get it's fresh air . Remove the cover where your air filter is and remove the small foam filter from within. Reinstall your cover on the air box.

One more thing you should do, is remove the black flex hose from your air box and the intake manifold and take a clean lint free cloth and sop up the pool of oil in ther and replace the intake hose. This hose can be trying to get back on, be patient with this piece. It will take some twisting and turning.

After you do this, do a test run. Look in the air box and you will see that the condensation runs down to the bottom of the air box drain and out. I found that there is very little oil coming out, the motor is being ventilated from the air sucking thru the air filter and after three weeks the motor is running fine the oil is still clear, the level has not moved. The filter in the air box is still clean. No more bogging down on hard right turns, no missing, no hesitating.

What I have done is to go back to pre 2000 Neons. I will keep you posted if this keeps working or has failed but after three weeks, the car is working great, the little beast never stops, my son uses it every day to go to college which is a 60mile/100 kilometer/day run- five days a week.

KayakMan
That little orange thing is just and air filter from an autoparts place (Canadain Tire). The little silver thing is a pvc valve so that air can only go in and fumes can not go back thru.
The line to the air box takes care of fumes and vapour off the top of the engine that would have been connected directy to the intake manifold where it would have pooled.
Hope this helps, car is working fine.
KayakMan
No there is a drain hole at the bottom of the air box. It's better there than in your intake manifold. It really isn't that much (oil) because before if would pool in the tube where your existing pvc valve is and be sucked down into the manifold. Now it is only condensed vapours.
Up-date. Car is working great, plugs are fine and it's going for an oil change tomrrow. The only thing I've changed from the pictures is the orange air filter and the pvc valve it was connected to on the valve cover are gone. I have plugged this off but I still have the hose with the brass 90 elebow and I teed that into where the original pvc valve and back to the air box.

I found that the silver pvc would leak a little bit of oil fumes back out thru the filter when stopped in traffic and get sucked into the hvac system and smell bad in the car. But there where no plumes of smoke or anything like that.

If I had to start this project over I would not have installed the brass elebow. I would just have used the existing fresh air hose and connected the pvc valve together and just run them into the air box and plugged the existing pvc line to the intake manifold off.
Oil vapours are being pulled into the intake manifold via air box and no pooling of oil in the intake manifold which 2nd generation neons have. If you have a 2nd generation that is getting up in miles check it by removing the flex hose from your manifold and put a clean lint free cloth in there and you will find oil. When it gets bad enough the motor will start sucking it up into the motor causing bogging and missing.

Bottom line it's a poor design 2nd generation valve cover and a poor location for a pvc valve. There is a lot more oil on top of the 2nd gen. motor neons than the 1st gen.

What I did is right, don't know. Does it work? Yes. Remember this little beast has three drivers and 150, 000 kms. So it's run hard and put away wet.

Old 05-07-2006, 12:40 AM
spikeymikey87
Record Breaker

well from my personal experience, id say get a catch can because mine is filling up and im non turbo. i was very surprised when i checked it after only having it a week, it had already been accumulating

Quick Reply: DO-IT-YOURSELF catch can: